• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Jitsi video group chat - works on Samsung Tab A tablet through Opera browser

Started by ssfc72, July 25, 2020, 03:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I was curious to see if I could avoid having to download and use the Jitsi android app, to my ZTE android phone, in order to join a Jitsi group video chat using just the Opera browser, on my phone.

With the Opera browser, you can go into the settings and select whether you want the browser to display as a phone or as a desktop.  I have used this feature a few times to access web sites that displayed their content better as a desktop.
What I found was that with my ZTE phone the Opera browser would not log into the Jitsi group video chat. :-(

I then tried my Samsung Tab A 8" tablet.  With setting the Opera browser to act as a desktop, I was successful in logging into the Jitsi video group chat, using just the Opera browser.  I did not need to download and install any Jitsi android app. :-)

I will have to try my Samsung tablet, for the next PLUG Mug, Jitsi group video chat. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Thanks for sharing. That's really cool. Which Opera app are you using? There's several of them in the Google Play store.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

For my Samsung Tab A tablet, if there is more than one Opera browser app, then I probably went with the full feature app and not a mini app.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

There's three of them even from their own website, Opera, Opera Mini and Opera Touch. So yours is just called Opera, right? I probably won't be doing it on my tablet but I'm curious and it might be useful for people who like to barbecue at night, you know who you... ;-)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72