• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

GParted Live vs Clonezilla

Started by William Park, December 18, 2016, 12:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

William Park

Jason

Not sure what you mean by comparing the two. They both do different things although the GParted distro contains Clonezilla.

I've used clonezilla plenty of times for backing up and restoring hard drives containing just Windows, Windows + Linux or just Linux. Works very well. I think we've all used gparted as a program, not sure how many have used it as a live cd. I haven't.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

William Park

I need to resize FAT32 filesystem so that it grows to fill a newly resized (bigger) partition.  GParted does it (Partition -> Check).  But, I don't know if Clonezilla does it automatically when it copies to a bigger partition.

Jason

Good question. First off, I will admit I've never tried this. But according to the docs, it's possible but you have to use expert mode and then choose the option -k1.

http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/doc/03_Disk_to_disk_clone/advanced/05-advanced-param.php

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

William Park

I used -j2 and -r from the first screen, and -k from the second screen.  Clonezilla did not expand the FAT32 filesystem.  I didn't want to use -k1, because partitions have been already adjusted manually.

Anyways, I found that Clonezilla has 'fatresize'.