• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

YouTube video: Top 6 Best Wonderful Linux Distros (2020 Edition)

Started by Jason, July 20, 2020, 08:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

The first three distribution recommendations in this ~11 minute video were different picks than I usually see. It's been a long while since I've played with Feren or Solus and I don't think I've ever tried Endeavour although I think Buster mentioned it once. Has anybody else tried these lately?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

' I think Buster mentioned it once.'

I installed Endeavour enthusiastically in vmware, but discarded it when I could not find a file I needed, open-vm-tools-desktop.

Not much use to me without that file.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Weird. I thought it was based on Ubuntu and if so, it'd have that file.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

' I thought it was based on Ubuntu'

No. It's based on Arch. I put it on this morning and took it off minutes ago. The graphical 'Packages' app is stone age, one at a time installs. The recommendation is we use pacman commands. Apt doesn't apply because of the packaging.

Also I got drag and drop (host to guest) to work for tiny files, but nowhere near the size I tend to move back and forth.

Tuxracer failed the visual test and was very hesitant. Ended up in the trees.

Great simple and clear install, but it's the afterwards that counts. I shall not be tempted a third time.

Jason

Quote from: buster on July 20, 2020, 12:58:48 PM
' I thought it was based on Ubuntu'

No. It's based on Arch. I put it on this morning and took it off minutes ago. The graphical 'Packages' app is stone age, one at a time installs. The recommendation is we use pacman commands. Apt doesn't apply because of the packaging.

Too late to try, but I wonder if you enabled AUR. It definitely wouldn't be in the main repos. But it should be available somewhere if it's really open which I doubt very much.

A bit of searching and I came up with this. Not sure if 'tools' is the same thing:

https://cyberblogspot.com/how-to-install-vmware-tools-in-arch-linux/

buster

That process for installing goes against my religion. And even if it does work, from the time I used it, I would guess this distro has no advantages over Mint or Kubuntu. Or several others that seem better that I have used over the years.

If you like solving problems, do Sudoku,or play Spider Patience Two Suit. Computers should, in my opinion, be like dishwashers. You turn them on and they just work.

fox

Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: buster on July 20, 2020, 02:05:46 PM
If you like solving problems, do Sudoku,or play Spider Patience Two Suit. Computers should, in my opinion, be like dishwashers. You turn them on and they just work.

Just noticed this and had to respond. If that's the case, Buster, then why install new distros at all? You don't turn on a VM and it just works. You don't install and OS and it just works the way you want it to - you then go on to install other apps, right? I think you're a heretic to your "religion". :)