• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

LxQT Lubuntu 19.10 Virtual

Started by buster, April 15, 2020, 06:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Followed Fox's various LxQT installs and thought it might be nice as a quick virtual install that has to deal with fewer computer resources in VMWare. Haven't used Lubuntu for years, and felt it might be a good choice. No daily builds for Buster though. So 19.10 seemed reasonable.

Install - sort of the same as usual, simpler. Touch old fashioned, but fine. High marks.

Appearance - I like the look! Certainly doesn't overwhelm you. Easy to navigate. Split screen in file manager. High marks.

Included software - Has Firefox and LibreOffice, VLN, Discover. Got Synaptic, then open-vm-tools, updates. Still need QBittorrent, Kpat, Tuxracer. Hope they don't slow down this very quick system.

Liked - the fact that I can drop desktop icons. Also, after installing open-vm-tools and ...-desktop, I could drag a 2.2 gig movie file from Win10 and drop it into Lubuntu, and it played perfectly. (I've never had great success with this drag/drop in xfce.) And it runs full screen.

Only got it an hour ago, so I may have complaints in a day or so. But it looks good at the moment.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

buster

Still quick. Fast boot. Very nice.

Jason

Too late now unless you're still bored in self-isolation but you don't have to use a daily build. They have a beta of Lubuntu 20.04 and betas are usually pretty solid.

https://lubuntu.me/lubuntu-20-04-lts-beta-released/
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I believe that 20.04RC is due to be released today.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

I feel better now that I did find a flaw in Lubuntu 19.10, even though it doesn't matter very much.

The instructions read that you can drag a program from the menu to the task bar to drop a shortcut, as you do for a desktop shortcut icon. On mine, this is a lie!

But that's pretty well all I've found.

Jason

Quote from: buster on April 16, 2020, 05:48:12 PM
The instructions read that you can drag a program from the menu to the task bar to drop a shortcut, as you do for a desktop shortcut icon. On mine, this is a lie!

Which instructions? In the manual? Can you link it if you can still find it? I didn't know that kind of thing worked in any of these lighter desktops (Xfce, LXDE, LXqt). You can also let them know of a mistake and improve upon it, assuming it also holds to true in 20.04.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

Jason

Sure, just give me the link to the entire manual instead of the section you're talking about. Why do you make my life so hard, Buster?  ::)

Anyway, I'm guessing you mean this section. I can't confirm unfortunately, this laptop has a new distro in it. But I'll check later to see if the problem is in 20.04 beta as well or the RC since Fox says it's out. But if I find it is, I'm making it your responsibility to let them know, Buster, for the 20.04 manual. The manual was likely put together by volunteers. It probably worked once, maybe when they used LXDE as the DE and just got copied over and over again with minor updates. They probably missed this one.