• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Recent posts

Politics, Society and News. / Re: Trump, Biden, the Election...
Last post by Jason - August 04, 2024, 01:09:22 AM
I noticed in several polls that Harris is gaining on Trump in some swing states and ahead in others. But most are within the error rate so statistically tied. It should make for an interesting election.

The Harris and the Dems seem to be using "weird" more to describe Trump. Good choice. The Democrats need to play a little bit dirtier and use some names since Trump is getting way so much of it. But "weird" fits the bill without being nasty.

The Trump campaign or maybe just Trump appears to be flailing suggesting that Harris isn't Black. And Trump even said she failed the bar. Sheesh. Are they going to appeal to their voters and the white supremacists or try to reach the moderates? They're going to need to if they want to win. And moderates aren't going to put up with that kind of foolishness.

The Republicans keep saying that the Dems are unfairly saying Trump is a fascist and a threat to democracy. Meanwhile, Trump is telling Christian groups they only need to vote him for once and never have to vote again. Scary.
Linux Applications & Android apps / Re: Barrier alternative
Last post by Jason - August 04, 2024, 12:32:22 AM
Quote from: fox on July 30, 2024, 07:20:52 AMGet another keyboard and mouse; those are pretty cheap.

I have a great mouse and keyboard. The mouse can only be bought separately and the keyboard is available only as a combo. So I end up with a useless mouse. It's annoying to me that the most inexpensive name-brand keyboards only come with a crappy mouse. I already have a crappy mouse I don't use. Doing it that way is cheap but still awkward,  especially when you have ADHD! I'm lucky sometimes if I can remember to turn the mouse back on before using it!

Politics, Society and News. / Re: General news can go here
Last post by Jason - August 04, 2024, 12:18:42 AM
Quote from: ssfc72 on July 30, 2024, 07:59:41 AMOn second thought, I think any general news postings, would be a better fit under the General Discussion Forum topic, instead of under Politics & Society.

The title doesn't mention the news as I write now even though the description does. I'm going to change the title now.
Politics, Society and News. / Re: Intel 13th and 14th proces...
Last post by Jason - August 04, 2024, 12:14:07 AM
Quote from: William on July 31, 2024, 08:09:55 PMGood thing, I'm still using 4th/5th generation cpu: i3-4170 (Linux desktop), i5-5300U (Windows laptop).

Until recently, I used an i5 desktop (4th-generation) and an i3 laptop (3rd); I only upgrade when there's a need. It's good for the environment and my pocketbook! Sounds like you, too. :)

However, Windows 10 will soon be obsolete and Windows 11 requires a processor of at least 8th-generation. Unofficially, you can use less but Microsoft won't promise to support it. Also Ubuntu will be dropping some processor support, too, but they'll go back further than Microsoft.

Finally, I have an 8th-generation CPU. A 13th- or 14-generation processor is but a dream!
Last post by Jason - August 03, 2024, 10:59:39 PM
Quote from: ssfc72 on July 28, 2024, 04:59:11 AMMy question, which wasn't brought up in the article is, will this patch affect the performance of the Desktop CPU?  I kind of think it probably will!

I don't think they can know until after the patch is released. It probably depends on whether it's a good patch (fixes code) or a workaround.

QuoteI was sort of considering getting a newer notebook computer. Even though this issue is apparently only affecting desktop computers, I think I may wait about 6 months or a year before buying a newer notebook computer.

Wait or don't buy that generation. In my mind, 2022 is recent so a "newer" desktop for me wouldn't be that generation anyway.
Last post by William - July 31, 2024, 08:09:55 PM
Good thing, I'm still using 4th/5th generation cpu: i3-4170 (Linux desktop), i5-5300U (Windows laptop).
Last post by ssfc72 - July 30, 2024, 07:59:41 AM
On second thought, I think any general news postings, would be a better fit under the General Discussion Forum topic, instead of under Politics & Society.
Linux Applications & Android apps / Re: Barrier alternative
Last post by fox - July 30, 2024, 07:20:52 AM
Get another keyboard and mouse; those are pretty cheap.
Last post by ssfc72 - July 28, 2024, 04:59:11 AM
Thanks for sharing Jason.

The article doesn't mention the year of manufacture of the "Desktop" CPU's. It apparently was in 2022 and 2023.

My question, which wasn't brought up in the article is, will this patch affect the performance of the Desktop CPU?  I kind of think it probably will!

I was sort of considering getting a newer notebook computer. Even though this issue is apparently only affecting desktop computers, I think I may wait about 6 months or a year before buying a newer notebook computer.
Last post by ssfc72 - July 28, 2024, 04:36:45 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Jason.