• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Picture Problems in Forum

Started by buster, December 08, 2019, 01:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Not serious, but...

In the list of 'new posts', the pictures do not show. If you go to the original posting in the full thread, the pictures show.

Your funny pictures in Mike's thread about fixing Gnome (Dreamer  :) ) do not show in the 'New Posts', but only in the full thread.

That should be fixed. "Make it happen."
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

You're going to have to give me a screenshot of what you mean? In fact, whenever you notice a problem relating to what 'appears' in the forums, it'd be helpful to do that. I suspect it's not something I can fix but I can't know unless I see what you're talking about and seeing is easier than describing.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

"You're going to have to give me a screenshot of what you mean"

a) Go to Fox's thread about fixing Gnome in 'Support' and look at the picture you posted that says 'I'm not laughing'

b) Now go to 'view the most recent posts' at the bottom of the first page. Scroll till you find the same item you wrote and look at it in the recent thread.

On my computer the picture only shows in a). No picture shows in b)

Jason

Okay, I can see what you're talking about now.

I asked for a screenshot because what you called it, 'new posts' doesn't appear anywhere so I didn't know what you were talking about. There's 'show unread posts since last visit' and 'View the most recent posts on the forum.' Either of those could have been what you mentioned.

Anyway, I think that's a fine way to view to catch up on a couple of posts but probably not a good way to read the forums for this and other reasons. They don't show because they're attachments. Changing this behaviour isn't an an option I can change or would want to, honestly. I would hate to scroll through a page of graphics interrupting the post flow.

I'm afraid that you're just going to have to put up with the limitations of the software or make a feature request to the people that make the SMF software. As the famous bardic performers, the Rolling Stones, once sang ...

QuoteYou can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes, well, you just might find
You get what you need
Yeah, oh baby

You might want to try 'Show unread posts since last visit' at the top. Then you can just click on the little 'NEW' button beside the threads and it'll take you straight to the post. Click the middle button or scroll wheel and it's even better so you don't have to go back to see the other posts. I've done it this way for years but YMMV.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

Jason

But one thing I personally can do for you, Buster, is to add some reference to the picture or other attachment so you know you're not seeing it all when you look in 'recent posts'. But do give "Show unread posts since last visit" a try if you haven't already.

Jason

This problem turned out to have a solution that just required turning on a permission to see attachments. I'm pleased that we were able to figure this out a few weeks ago.