• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Freedom Mobile, 1.5 GB Data + unlimited talk, text, $19/month

Started by ssfc72, January 08, 2020, 11:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

The Lindsay Freedom Mobile store has had this Flash Sale for the last week.  The deal is for a 12 month term. 
It is tempting me.  I could go with this wireless provider for the Data and for areas the Freedom doesn't cover I could just use my 711 Speakout phone when necessary and the prepaid service only costs $25/year. My balance with  Speakout is currently around $40.

https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/special-offers
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

That is a really good deal. I'm paying $20/month for my Freedom plan right now and I get only 100 minutes of calls out to Canada (unlimited in) and 250 GB of data with unlimited Canada/US messaging.

Make sure your phone is compatible before you sign the deal though. Freedom uses a different LTE network than the rest.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Wow, that really is good. I would say it's better than my Koodo prepaid, which works out to about $22/month with the non-expiring data and phone boosters I buy. Problem is their coverage is almost entirely urban and largely lacking outside of the major cities of Ontario, Alberta and B.C. I travel a lot and wouldn't switch for that reason.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Thanks for the tip about phone compatibility, Jason. I checked my new LG phone on the Link you provided and the LG phone is good to go.

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on January 08, 2020, 01:31:55 PM
That is a really good deal. I'm paying $20/month for my Freedom plan right now and I get only 100 minutes of calls out to Canada (unlimited in) and 250 GB of data with unlimited Canada/US messaging.

Make sure your phone is compatible before you sign the deal though. Freedom uses a different LTE network than the rest.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

ssfc72

Yes, the service area of Freedom is somewhat limited. That is why I mentioned the 711 Speakout option. If a person has a second phone, then for $25/year you can get a Speakout prepaid service which uses the Rogers cell network.  As long as you don't make a ton of calls when you are not in Freedom's coverage, then the Speakout service would fill in the gap that Freedom Mobile has.

Quote from: fox on January 08, 2020, 03:21:08 PM
Wow, that really is good. I would say it's better than my Koodo prepaid, which works out to about $22/month with the non-expiring data and phone boosters I buy. Problem is their coverage is almost entirely urban and largely lacking outside of the major cities of Ontario, Alberta and B.C. I travel a lot and wouldn't switch for that reason.

Jason

Although the service area is limited as noted, the roaming cost is only $0.15-$0.25/minutes I believe which is probably what Speakout charges for their minutes. I noticed you said you have 40 minute left so obviously you'd use those first. On my very-limited $20/month plan, it's $0.15 for extra minutes in the Freedom network and outside it for any minutes and I think you still get unlimited inbound calling. That last point I'm not certain about, but it mentions it in my plan and doesn't say it's only the Freedom network.

They also support wifi calling if your phone does which probably isn't that useful but I thought I'd mention it.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

William

What do you think of www.chatrwireless.com?  Their cheapest "auto-pay" plans is $15/month for 250MB data and 100 Canada-wide talk.

Jason

Quote from: William on January 10, 2020, 10:37:31 PM
What do you think of www.chatrwireless.com?  Their cheapest "auto-pay" plans is $15/month for 250MB data and 100 Canada-wide talk.

A bit cheaper for me but I think Bill wants the 1.5 GB data. However, there a few problems I see with Chatr, at least they're deal-breakers for me:

• Data is at 3G speed - I remember 3G speeds but I don't want to
  • Voicemail at $0.40/minute - voicemail should be included in the minutes, who does this?
The higher-tier plans look much more competitive than other providers but still at 3G? Whose network are they using that limits them to 3G? Doesn't every network near urban centres have LTE/4G?

On the other hand, network speed isn't a huge problem for my phone because I have a tablet that has 4 GB/month of data on a $15/month plan. I watch Netflix at the gym, read Pocket and news daily, and have never had it even get close to using it. When I go over my 250 MB on my phone, Freedom throttles my network speed (not sure if it's to 3G speeds) and it's painful, even for fairly basic websites like weather.ca. But still, I don't have to pay anything - I don't think you get that with Chatr, at least not in the lower-tier plans.

Jason

Quote from: fox on January 08, 2020, 03:21:08 PM

I just recently looked at this topic to check out William's comments about Chatr and I just noticed something about Fox's post that I should have commented on. You *can* make and receive phone calls outside of Freedom's network, it just uses a partner's network and costs extra. For example, I'm on a $20/month plan and if I went outside the network, calls would be $0.15/minute. That might be prohibitive depending on how much calling you do outside of Freedom's network, but I just wanted to note that it is something you can do.

I can't speak to USA roaming costs. I'm not sure if it's $0.15/minute or another rate.