• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Nice Doc for DEX - on sale today only

Started by BrianP, January 24, 2020, 08:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianP

Thanks Mike for that presentation on DEX !

Here is a doc that can be used and is on sale today for under $50. It can be used with many devives.
Lots of ports  - hdmi, usb, card slots, even ethernet

This save company a a few other models to choose from

https://www.newegg.ca/p/0J2-01CV-00019?Item=9SIAKMPAXJ9874&cm_sp=Homepage_SS-_-P2_9SIAKMPAXJ9874-_-01242020

fox

Thanks, Brian. That dock has a lot of ports that mine doesn't, and looks to be worth the extra money. (Mine was about $30.) There is no indication in the ad that it runs DeX, so I googled it and came up with this in the answered questions list. It apparently does NOT. I don't know why it shouldn't, but if it were me, I wouldn't buy it for that purpose.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I don't get why the hardware would have to specific support for DeX. DeX is the software and this is the hardware. But I did miss your presentation so maybe that was covered. :-) I just would have expected as long as it had the ports you needed it would work. Is it that the USB-C connection used for power doesn't provide enough?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I don't have an answer for you, but I know that when I was searching for a dock, I found some that stated they were DeX compatible, others that stated they were not, and some that didn't say. This particular dock has a PD charging port, so I'm guessing that power isn't the issue. With my dock, listed here, it specifically mentions DeX, but it does need the charging port plugged in to work. On the other hand, I have a simple UBC-c to HDMI cable with no other ports that does work even without wireless charging.

Jason

I just noticed that the one that Brian mentioned that said it wasn't compatible is using USB 3.0 while yours is using 3.1. Maybe that makes a difference?
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

I think the USB 3.0 in the description refers to the side connectors, not what it plugs into the computer/phone with. That is USB-C, so I don't think that's it.

Jason

Quote from: fox on January 24, 2020, 09:50:44 PM
I think the USB 3.0 in the description refers to the side connectors, not what it plugs into the computer/phone with. That is USB-C, so I don't think that's it.

USB-C still has s speed, it defines a connector, it's not an alternative to USB 3 (which is a speed designation). On the unit Brian mentions USB-C refers to the charging port only. Side ports are USB 3 speed type A ports, however I would imagine the USB C port is also rated for USB 3. It just doesn't say.

Does the phone connect to the hub (with the one you have) with a USB type C connector? And is the hub powered separately through another port? My understanding is that with PD charging ports, you can do data transfer or power, not both at the same time. At least that's the way my phone works. If I plug it into my computer, it asks what I want to do, be charged, charge something else or transfer files. But perhaps DeX uses some type of switching between data and power so it can do both at the same time?

Also just noticed this:

"With versatile connectivity built in, this gadget allows you to connect USB devices, an HDMI monitor and Gigabit Ethernet network, and charge a USB-C device, all via a single USB-C connection to your computer."

Note that it says you can power and use data at the same time from a computer specifically, nothing else.

Anyway, I'm confused. My head hurts now. :)

fox

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on January 25, 2020, 05:59:03 AM
Does the phone connect to the hub (with the one you have) with a USB type C connector? And is the hub powered separately through another port?
Anyway, I'm confused. My head hurts now. :)
Yes, my phone connects to my hub with a USB-C connector and the hub is powered separately through another port.
And I'm confused, too.  >:(

Jason

Quote from: fox on January 25, 2020, 07:12:03 AM
Yes, my phone connects to my hub with a USB-C connector and the hub is powered separately through another port.
And I'm confused, too.  >:(

I think that's the problem. The description of Brian's suggested device says there is only one type C port and it's used for power. So if you plug your phone into it, you don't have an external power source unlike your hub which has its only independent power source.