• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Super TuxKart update

Started by fox, July 21, 2020, 06:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

When I saw this, I immediately thought of Buster.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

"When I saw this, I immediately thought of Buster."

Thanks for the link fox!

This is now compatible with Mac and Win10, which is important to me because my grandson and I used to play with this years ago when he stayed with us. We had great fun. He's now 23 and living in the far north. I'll send him the link and he should be able to play it on a Win machine, but it does sound hardware-heavy.

Meanwhile, I have a Win10 connected to our 48" TV. Sounds as if they've made some great improvements.

Doubt the new ones would play in my virtual machines. And also the distros may not be keeping up with the improvements.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Your grandkids played SuperTuxKart? I thought it was just TuxRacer or whatever it's called now.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Your PC and his almost certainly meet at least the minimum requirements. Even without a separate graphics card, it can work with the Intel HD Graphics 4000 chipset which came out in 2012. Recommended requirements for the processor says most Intel CPUs released since 2012. It might work in VM if it can allocate a minimum of 1 GB or RAM to 3D video. Just install Linux for it. Maybe this will be the killer app that Linux needs to win people over. ;-)
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

While the game will play, it might not play at the heavier new graphics level. The game will just adjust itself to a lower resolution, and leave out some of the visual stuff.

By the way, the distros don't seem to be dispensing the latest releases. They are still in the 9's.

Jason

Quote from: buster on July 22, 2020, 01:14:55 PM
While the game will play, it might not play at the heavier new graphics level. The game will just adjust itself to a lower resolution, and leave out some of the visual stuff.

Yeah, that's standard for most 3D games and is mentioned at the link. You can play with your grandkids over the tubes, too, if you want.

buster

WELL!  The 1.1 release of Supertuxkart is available in Kubuntu. We'll see what the virtual machine can handle.

BusterE

Jason wrote: "Maybe this will be the killer app that Linux needs to win people over. ;-)"

It might very well have been, except they've ported it to Mac and Windows. It's no longer exclusive.
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

buster

The game is also available in Gecko. While it runs ok in virtual, something keeps pushing my kart off the road into cliffs and lakes. It  might be my fingers on the keyboard not doing a good job, but that seems unlikely.  :)