• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Skype voice and video conferencing - no need to download the app

Started by ssfc72, April 20, 2020, 08:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

From what I read on the Skype (owned by Microsoft) website, you don't need to download the App, to have a video chat/conference with someone else, who initiated the Skype video conference.
If you have the latest version of the Chrome browser or the Microsoft Edge browser, then they will apparently handle a Skype video chat.

I am not sure if this only applies to the Windows OS or whether Chrome or Edge would also video chat using a Linux Distro.  I will have to test this out.

Apparently, a new feature of Skype is that only one person needs to start a video session and that person can then, I believe, send with 2 clicks,  an invite (by email, text etc?) to anyone else that they want to video chat with.  The invited person just has to use the unique Link, to join the video chat.

Maybe tonight Monday, April 20 at around 8 pm we could try this out, by having a PLUG Mug Video conference?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Sounds good. I'd be interested in trying the web browser option but have Skype installed as well. There are other audio/video chat options we can try another time if Skype doesn't hold up or we just don't want to use MS on principle; I know of some alternatives.

I might have made an assumption there. Are we going to do just audio or video chat? I might have to shower. ;-)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on April 20, 2020, 11:46:47 AM
Send me an invit tonight - email I guess.

Come down, Buster, you're getting overexcited about this.  ;)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I will be trying to do a video chat, so yes a web camera would be needed.

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on April 20, 2020, 10:12:17 AM
Sounds good. I'd be interested in trying the web browser option but have Skype installed as well. There are other audio/video chat options we can try another time if Skype doesn't hold up or we just don't want to use MS on principle; I know of some alternatives.

I might have made an assumption there. Are we going to do just audio or video chat? I might have to shower. ;-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service