• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

How about a wiki?

Started by Jason, June 09, 2020, 12:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I was set to begin a new board suitable for new Linux users and then I had an epiphany. What about a wiki instead? If you're not sure what a wiki is, look to the definition from Wikipedia:

QuoteA wiki is a hypertext publication collaboratively edited and managed by its own audience directly using a web browser. A typical wiki contains multiple pages for the subjects or scope of the project and may be either open to the public or limited to use within an organization for maintaining its internal knowledge base.

A hypertext publication is simply a page or pages with links.

Here's another wiki with an entry explaining how to install Ubuntu. Notice how it makes more use of graphics than text. Wikis can have very different styles and entries.

On our Wiki, we could do that and have other short entries, video and article links and maybe a glossary. Creating an entry would be as easy as making a forum post. Our wiki would be for beginners so articles should be concise. And short entries would also be easier to write unless you're like me. But that’s where editors come in. Editing is a bit more involved but still not hard.

I can start off with some articles. But would anybody else contribute or edit pages? We need both. I know that new Linux users starting out definitely would benefit from our experiences. Who is interested?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

I think it's a good idea. Writing concisely is a good idea, but may be difficult for some of our members.  :)
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

I would be willing to contribute, or at least edit.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 09, 2020, 03:48:35 PM
I think it's a good idea. Writing concisely is a good idea, but may be difficult for some of our members.  :)

I resemble that remark! :)
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

There seems to be a bit of interest although not what I had hoped for. No offense to you both. :) After I get the forum lag issue fixed then I'll set up a wiki. Maybe if I built it, they will come.