• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Recent posts

Meetings / Re: Next meeting?
Last post by William - October 21, 2024, 05:36:50 PM
I need an excuse for scenic tour.  Any plan for meeting?
Security and Privacy / Re: Latest Gmail users AI Hack
Last post by fox - October 19, 2024, 08:10:27 PM
Good to know. Thanks for posting this!
Security and Privacy / Latest Gmail users AI Hack
Last post by ssfc72 - October 19, 2024, 08:36:49 AM
Some good to know info about the latest hack to try and trick you into giving out your Gmail account info to hackers.

https://www.tomsguide.com/computing/online-security/billions-of-gmail-users-at-risk-from-sophisticated-new-ai-hack-how-to-stay-safe
Marketplace / Re: Free laptop 4GB module
Last post by ssfc72 - October 15, 2024, 08:16:04 AM
Thanks William, for posting about the laptop memory module.
None of my laptops have any empty memory sockets, to take more memory.
Marketplace / Free laptop 4GB module
Last post by William - October 12, 2024, 05:57:00 PM
Anyone here needs laptop DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600S-999) 4GB memory module?  I have one that was salvaged long ago.  But, my ThinkPad T450 won't recognize it, and new laptops won't be using DDR3 memory.  So, it's useless for me.
General Discussion / US Election: SWING District Po...
Last post by Jason - October 11, 2024, 10:49:57 PM
Let's Talk Elections on YouTube posts revealing videos interpreting US election polls. This one is about some swing districts in Pennsylvania and interesting trends. With 19 electoral votes, Pennsylvania is a swing state that Kamala Harris needs to take. This video looks at some district polls and what may be revealing state-wide.

General Discussion / Re: Fox and Bill neck-and-neck...
Last post by Jason - October 10, 2024, 03:34:25 AM
Before, Bill (ssfc72) was ahead of Fox by 7 votes for 2nd place in total posts. They've switched places and now Fox is ahead by 7 votes. Will Bill make a comeback? Stay tuned! :)
Politics, Society and News. / Re: Harris-Trump post-debate r...
Last post by Jason - October 10, 2024, 03:30:04 AM
I agree with you on most points although I think Walz could have pressed Vance a little more, especially on the fact that he dodged the question about whether he accepted the result of the 2020 election. Of course, Vance would have dodged it but still should have pushed back against it. The debate was very cordial but maybe a little too cordial. They were too nice to each other but that's probably because they both are generally good people, something I can't say about Trump (nor can anybody be reasonable). But Vance has flip-flopped on so many issues including his calling Trump 'Hitler' to making excuses for his behaviour. Ah, well. I'd rather see more debates like this than the one with Trump and Harris although Trump will make any debate toxic.

I'm still shocked that almost half the US is fine with voting for a convicted felon, a serial liar, and a despicable human being. Why? Because he's a Republican and that's all that matters, apparently.

One clear thing, Harris has the advantage and I don't mean in polling numbers. She is raising by far the most donations (3x as much), the best ground teams and defections from the GOP camp. If Biden could beat Trump in 2020, I can't see how she can't do the same in 2024. She's at least as popular as he was back then. If she takes the states he took or even one or two less, she should pull it off. Fingers crossed.
Politics, Society and News. / Re: Harris-Trump post-debate r...
Last post by fox - October 02, 2024, 08:21:04 AM
Did anyone watch the debate yesterday? I did, with a bunch of like-minded people at the 180 Hunter pub. It was actually quite civilized, and I thought both debaters did well at making their points and not taking a big hit on account of their presidential running mates. I knew Vance would do well; he is smart, a good orator, and unlike Trump, he did a lot of preparation. Walz was very good too and got in a lot of good points, especially on abortion and the 2020 election. But he spoke very quickly to get in all of his points, making him look more nervous than Vance. Trying to be objective, I thought it was a tie. If any party benefitted, it would be the Republicans because their candidate actually looked reasonable; something that Walz didn't have to prove. Funny enough, these guys actually seemed to like each other. In many cases, one agreed partly with the other (and partly not), and they shook hands amiably and spoke to one another at the end.
Linux Applications & Android apps / Re: Run Microsoft Office 365 o...
Last post by fox - October 02, 2024, 08:10:21 AM
I actually use LibreOffice most of the time, too. Its word processor and spreadsheet do as much as I need it to, when I don't need 100% compatibility in importing and exporting documents, spreadsheets and presentations for co-users or collaborators that are using MS Office. I have also tried other Linux-native programs like WPS and Softmaker Office, but none give me 100% compatibility. Even when I am sharing documents with others, if I generate them, I will usually use LibreOffice and just export them in MS formats. As long as they are simple and page layout isn't critical, LibreOffice works for me.