• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Recent posts

So, I first tried to install LocalSend by downloading and running the appimage file. That didn't appear to install the program, even though I made the appimage file executible.

I then tried the deb file. Again that did not seem to bring up a working program.

Then I tried the FlatHub install, using the commands on the LocalSend website and that did bring up a working install of LocalSend, on my Mint Distro. :-)
Thanks William, for the info about the command line method.

Quote from: William on Yesterday at 06:33:36 PMWhen I need to move files locally, which is seldom, I use ncat or faucet/hose on command-line.  Though it would be nice to have GUI frontend that runs on multiple OS.
Thanks Jason. That is good to know about the limit is only on sent texts.
Linux Applications & Android apps / Re: KDE Connect program/App
Last post by Jason - Yesterday at 10:27:30 PM
For clarity, The limit is only for sending texts, Bill. I don't think there is any limitation on receiving them which is important for those accounts using SMS as a 2FA method.
My method with Windows and Linux is a simple network share. I managed years ago to get Mint to see my Windows computers and I was even able to drop shortcuts on the desktop. It's possible for Windows to see Linux computers, but I was never successful in doing this. Going both ways is not necessary. From a Linux OS you can reach into a Win OS and take what you need.

My phone and tablet are not connected wirelessly. If I wish to move say an ebook, music or pictures, I use a cable. So I can get from anything to anything. But it's not often I need to cable.

When I need to move files locally, which is seldom, I use ncat or faucet/hose on command-line.  Though it would be nice to have GUI frontend that runs on multiple OS.
https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20240422#localsend

This open source app is apparently available for different Operating Systems and looks to be quite useful for those of you who have a mix of computers at home, that are using different OS's.

I believe Buster is one of our group, who needs to be able to transfer files to various computers, in his house.
Last post by ssfc72 - April 22, 2024, 08:36:13 AM
Thanks Jason, I did not know about the 25 text per month limit on the free version of MightyText.
KDE Connect seems to work well for me, so I probably will continue using it.
Last post by Jason - April 21, 2024, 02:12:10 PM
Thanks for the reminder about MightyText. I seem to recall that Mike uses it. Google Messages runs in the browser. But it's limited in features comparatively.

Did you use the free version? You can only send 25 texts/month which is too limiting for me.

MightyText has a web app version which should work in Linux. There's also a Chrome extension. I thought it'd work under Opera, but they tell you to use the web app. I expect it would work in Brave.
Last post by ssfc72 - April 20, 2024, 04:06:46 PM
Thanks for the info, Jason.

Many years ago, I used a program called MightyText
https://mightytext.net/

It worked pretty good between a computer and Android phone.
MightyText appears to only have a Windows computer program. :-(  I can't recall if I somehow got that program to work under Linux.  I don't think I would have used it under Windows.