• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: Buster's final computer st...
Last post by buster - March 24, 2024, 12:13:58 PM
So tomorrow, for those interested, will begin the 5th and final computer story, and it will arrive one chapter a day.

March 25th: Creating a Christmas Linux Mint System from Bits and Pieces
General Discussion / Re: Total solar eclipse, April...
Last post by buster - March 23, 2024, 04:28:16 PM
"With the cloudy/rainy weather we have in April, in Ontario, I won't be surprised if the clouds/rain prevent the viewing of the eclipse."

Part of the magic of a total eclipse is the fact that it gets night time dark. Streetlights may even come on. This would happen no matter the weather.
Last post by William - March 23, 2024, 01:40:05 AM
Yes, I can go to any parking lot along the Lake Erie shoreline.  We'll see, weather being the deciding factor.
Last post by buster - March 21, 2024, 05:38:21 PM
William wrote:

"Can I join you guys?
I'll bring my welder goggles."

I've read that Niagara Falls has a total as well. (Check first.) If you drive yourself, would that be easier? 404, 401, 403, QR I think. Something like that.
Last post by buster - March 21, 2024, 04:30:40 PM
Kind of you to offer Jason, but as I write I would have nothing to send to people that might not be ripped apart with different sentence structures and phrases, sometimes within minutes of sending. ( Until of cource the final copy.) You were a big factor making our submission back in 2002 such a success, including taking care of the pictures. But I don't write that way anymore.

But thanks for the offer.
Last post by Jason - March 20, 2024, 08:28:59 PM
I'd be willing to join you on your motorcycle if you chose to take it and have a spare helmet. I just wouldn't tell my wife. :D Hopefully, it's not too cool that day.
Last post by Jason - March 20, 2024, 08:27:35 PM
Quote from: buster on March 20, 2024, 12:24:53 PMAnd while my health is fine, my dislike of work is increasing. I'm not sure if that's age or newly found wisdom. And I do hope this story turns out well. I can't imagine doing another one.

Probably wisdom! You should enjoy what you do or it's not worth doing, especially at your age. You've earned it.

Looking forward to the story!

Although I can't help you write, I could edit it for you if you wanted. To prevent any egos from being involved, I'd just check grammar and spelling. I know you're pretty good at it but sometimes another pair of eyes can help. Maybe that would make it writing a little more pleasant for you.
General Discussion / Buster's final computer story ...
Last post by buster - March 20, 2024, 12:24:53 PM
After the success of The Really Unpleasant Computer Problem, which has risen unexpectedly to be the 6th most viewed topic of our site's over 7,000 threads, I decided to finish a computer assembly story, mostly complete, that had been done a few years ago.

This Mint Linux computer started with two gifts from our son Eric and involved our family and neighbours more than other builds. And though this wasn't my final build, the one I just completed had a complete absence of problems - three paragraphs would tell the whole tale. The Christmas Computer, on the other hand, had family as well as annoying and almost disastrous technical complications.

I suspect this is my final story. Writing feels more like work than it used to. So this is 'Once more into the breach, dear friends,' as spoken not by King Henry, but by an aging Buster. So look for it about March 25th, one chapter a day.

And while my health is fine, my dislike of work is increasing. I'm not sure if that's age or newly found wisdom. And I do hope this story turns out well. I can't imagine doing another one.
Last post by ssfc72 - March 20, 2024, 05:38:35 AM
Hi Jason, I may be taking my motorcycle to Cobourg, to view the eclipse.  There may be a lot of vehicle traffic in Cobourg on the day of the eclipse and the motorcycle would be easier to find a parking space. :-)

If I do take my car I will email you the day before, to let you know that I could give you a ride to view the ecplise.

In Peterborough, the solar eclipse will be very close to a Total ecplise. There will be just a very, very thin slice of the sun visible, at totality, 3.22 pm.

Quote from: Jason on March 03, 2024, 10:11:01 AMI hope the weather is good but you're likely right. No road-trips to Texas, then? ;)

If you do go down, maybe I can get a ride with you? We could work out the details over email. I can throw in for gas.
Last post by ssfc72 - March 20, 2024, 05:25:13 AM
Hi William. Yes, Cobourg is just a few kilometers East of Port Hope.

With the cloudy/rainy weather we have in April, in Ontario, I won't be surprise if the clouds/rain prevent the viewing of the eclipse.
I will send you an email the day before the Total eclipse, if the weather is likely to be ok, for the viewing of the eclipse.

clear skies :-)