• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Recent posts

Linux Applications & Android apps / Re: Cross-platform Linux appli...
Last post by buster - March 15, 2024, 12:13:47 PM
You are such a purist Bill. I bet you have a Tux tattoo somewhere on your body.
Last post by ssfc72 - March 15, 2024, 03:29:27 AM
I only use Linux as an OS, so I don't pay attention to what Linux programs that I use, that may also run under other OS's. :-)
Last post by buster - March 14, 2024, 10:13:29 PM
Thunderbird mail.
General Discussion / The Really Unpleasant Computer...
Last post by buster - March 14, 2024, 10:12:14 PM
For some reason, the Unpleasant Computer has been getting visits at an accelerated rate. Suspect a link to a busier site. Presently 300 or more a day. The next of my stories listed will get a grand total of about 10 during  the same day.

However, if you check Forum Stats, you will see that this story has broken into the top 10 of our 1,701 topics, most of those views occurring in the last month or two. And that means it is ahead of 1,691 other topics.

So a 'story' on a tech site turns out to be one of the most heavily viewed. Never thought I'd see the day. Sort of humourous.
Linux Applications & Android apps / Cross-platform Linux applicati...
Last post by Jason - March 14, 2024, 08:16:38 PM
What Linux programs do you use that also have versions for other OSes like Windows or Mac? Post some favourites or all. And mention what type of program it is. These lists could be useful information for both Linux explorers and experienced users. Linux beginners can use what they know to start in Linux and experienced users alternating between OSes are more efficient. I'll start.

Brave - web browser
Firefox - web browser (I use this for troubleshooting)
Discord - text, video and voice chat
SpiderOak One Backup - cloud backup (paid)
Tuta Mail - encrypted cloud email
Spotify - music streaming
VLC Player - playing videos
Mullvad - VPN client
LibreOffice - office suite
Bitwarden - password manager
Veracrypt - drive or data encryption
General Discussion / Re: The CIA, FBI, and Aliens A...
Last post by Jason - March 14, 2024, 07:21:26 PM
Quote from: buster on March 13, 2024, 12:11:36 PMBy the way, the next time you start a thread, see if you can work the word nipple into the title. Sure to be a winner.

Lol. I'll be sure to do that. If Fox is reading, I wonder if he'd use a distro called Nipple Linux?
Last post by buster - March 13, 2024, 12:11:36 PM
"I just realized that you must be doing an experiment with your catchy title."

Maybe. But it may not be just the title. This thread that you and I are writing has been the only active one for days, so it shows up on 'latest posts'.

Second thing, the statistics are astonishing.

1. February this year had more views than any total year before 2022.

2. The views are not everywhere. The Peterborough Penguin Problem, not about computers except for the TuxRacer scene, was never popular but has passed other threads and moved up to page one of General Discussion when arranged by views, and has even climbed a bit on this page. It should reach over 5,000 views today.

3. The views occur during the night too. Either we have many night owls in North America, or some place like Australia is spreading the word.

4. If the views were random, I doubt we would have one story, published fourth, 7000 views ahead of the long time leader published second. (20,000+ versus 13,000+)

By the way, the next time you start a thread, see if you can work the word nipple into the title. Sure to be a winner.
Last post by Jason - March 13, 2024, 04:20:52 AM
I just realized that you must be doing an experiment with your catchy title.
Last post by buster - March 10, 2024, 02:23:53 PM
An observation on the 'views', whatever that means, of the stories.

If I arrange 'General Discussion' from most viewed to least I get 13 pages. All 5 stories have moved up to the first page. And the total number of views for the stories tallies over 55,000.

The Really Unpleasant Computer Problem leads the second story by almost 7,000 views, though it was posted a few years later. It should reach 20,000 views in a few days.

I do recognize that this is not nearly as exciting for anyone else, especially Marilyn, who is annoyed because I was doing my happy dance and knocked over, and smashed, a cup. But I shall continue to believe that 'views' are important.

Last post by Jason - March 08, 2024, 04:49:28 PM
Quote from: buster on March 08, 2024, 12:35:22 PMSometimes when changes are made we lose things. I'd like to keep these numbers for awhile Jason.

Please be careful.

I would be using another program that would look at the traffic and generate its own stats so it will be fine. And I always do backups when I change something so I can roll things back if necessary. The website, including the forum, is also automatically backed up once per week on Sundays.