• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Recent posts

Linux Applications & Android apps / Re: Clonezilla still the vener...
Last post by Jason - March 17, 2024, 10:54:53 PM
Quote from: ssfc72 on March 17, 2024, 03:32:24 AMI used Clonezilla for many years but then I tried Rescuezilla a few years ago and prefer it, over Clonezilla.
I can't recall what exactly I felt was better with Rescuezilla but it must have been something worthwhile, to cause me to switch from Clonezilla.

I think I know what you were thinking. It says on the RescueZilla website:

QuoteYes, Rescuezilla is the Clonezilla GUI (graphical user interface) that you might have been looking for.

The scroenshots of it look great.

So you get the rock-solid reliability of Cloudzilla with an easier interface.

I'm going to have to try this the next time I image my drive. Thanks for sharing.
Last post by ssfc72 - March 17, 2024, 03:32:24 AM
I used Clonezilla for many years but then I tried Rescuezilla a few years ago and prefer it, over Clonezilla.
I can't recall what exactly I felt was better with Rescuezilla but it must have been something worthwhile, to cause me to switch from Clonezilla.
Last post by Jason - March 16, 2024, 11:47:24 PM
Btw, I think you meant for the FBReader response to go with another topic. This one, probably.
Last post by Jason - March 16, 2024, 11:46:03 PM
That's great when you're just doing a partition. In my system, there are 5 partitions. Windows insists on using four partitions and I have Linux on just one. That'd be a real mess to back up to another system if I had to do it individually for each partition. Maybe not a mess, but a pain and prone to error.

Interestingly, the makers of GParted Live (what I presume you're using) recommend using another program to back up the entire drive before manipulating partitions. The first suggestion in their list is Clonezilla. :) You could back up only your personal data but then you'd have to spend time reinstalling the OSes, updating them and the programs before restoring it. Which is what I've been doing until now.
General Discussion / Re: The Really Unpleasant Comp...
Last post by buster - March 16, 2024, 11:08:58 PM
The Really Unpleasant Computer Problem must be linked to some busy sites somewhere.

Started gathering views in February after sitting for two years as the least visited computer story. Then it started moving up until it it reached number 10 on the most viewed topics on our site of about 1,700 topics. Yesterday, I think, it reached number 9, and today it reached number 8.

Quite a mystery, but maybe readers are enjoying it. It had, by the way, some of the best and funniest comments by our club readers between the chapters.

Last post by buster - March 16, 2024, 10:56:20 PM
I believe Fox and I have both used GParted to back up partitions. I used it to copy a full Mint OS, but the copy will not boot, but there is a workaround for that. GParted is totally visual and dead simple. I believe you could use it for windows partitions from the running Linux partition, but I'm not sure.

FBReader is a very good epub (and other formats) reader. Apparently there is a Linux desktop version available.
Linux Applications & Android apps / Clonezilla still the venerable...
Last post by Jason - March 16, 2024, 07:13:58 PM
I used Clonezilla yesterday to back up my entire drive containing Windows 11 and Zorin OS (Linux) to another drive as a .img file.

I used a SATA to USB 3 adapter to access an old-style 1 TB HDD. Amazingly, it still works. I'm not surprised for Clonezilla but was with the drive. It's been sitting on my shelf for probably 8 years. It was manufactured earlier (2011).

While it doesn't have the friendliest interface, Clonezilla is still a reliable disk/partition cloner. I couldn't get Windows 11 to back up its partitions using its control panel program. It complained about not having enough space or something. The error message was unintelligible. Boo, hiss! Clonezilla is still the king!

Using Clonezilla, I backed up about 200 GB in about 15 minutes, faster than expected. I wouldn't want to have tried it using USB 2.0!

I have 3 other HDDs (one 1 TB and two 2 TB) that I don't know what to do with. I might use them in a backup server. Clonezilla can also back up multiple computers over a network.

Note: You must boot from a Clonezilla CD/DVD/USB drive to do the cloning. You can't clone the drive while using the operating system.

I forgot to mention the link for it. It's easily searchable but I endeavour to make your lives easier.

https://clonezilla.org/
Linux Applications & Android apps / Re: Cross-platform Linux appli...
Last post by Jason - March 16, 2024, 06:53:32 PM
I hadn't hurt of FBReader. Is that an ebook reader?

I didn't know that qBitTorrent was available for more than one OS.

Thanks for sharing.
Linux Applications & Android apps / Re: Cross-platform Linux appli...
Last post by buster - March 15, 2024, 12:40:26 PM
We try to use the same software in Windows (mine) as well as Linux (Marilyn).

VLC for movies and music. It plays almost anything.
Firefox
Thunderbird
LibreOffice
qBittorrent
FBReader on Win10 and Android tablets

That's probably it.

General Discussion / Re: The Really Unpleasant Comp...
Last post by buster - March 15, 2024, 12:21:31 PM
Fame is fleeting. How soon they forget. The story had 400 views yesterday, and has under 10 so far today. But undaunted it struggles on. and maybe will get to position 9 on the view hit parade. Only...

News flash. The story has moved up to position 9! Still hundreds behind topic 8.