• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: Total solar eclipse, April...
Last post by Jason - Yesterday at 11:41:17 AM
I saw it for about 15 minutes before the clouds covered it. It was about 1/3 coverage then. Many people on the street checked it out with glasses. One person looked without any. There's always one. I found out later that I committed a risky faux pas. I viewed the eclipse with binoculars (while wearing glasses, of course). It was hard to find it because it was so dim. Almost two weeks later, my eyes feel fine. However, I don't recommend it.

About the time of maximum partial coverage (96%), I saw it briefly during a break in the clouds.

It doesn't show up in photos well, but in spots where the sun normally shines through between leaves, you could see crescent shapes instead. Neat. I didn't notice any change in the birds. I thought I did but after talking with my wife, I don't think they did. Your mind can convince you of anything if you expect it. I noticed the streetlights coming on briefly, too.
Thanks, Bill.

While I used a different program this year (because it was free for simple returns), I used MyTaxExpress last year and had no difficulties.

I couldn't log into my wife's tax account without knowing the total income in the previous return. I ran the MyTaxExpress version for the 2022 year and imported the files easily. As Bill mentions, it has versions for different tax years for Ubuntu and Debian-based Linux distros. They also say it can run under WINE but why bother?

I used Studiotax for the year before.

Previously to that TurboTax (formerly QuickTax) was my choice. All three programs are excellent, as based on previous versions although I found Turbotax the easiest. It's too bad they never raised the limit for the free version, families with disabilities are pushed beyond that.

I concur with recommending MyTaxExpress. There was one bug I noticed but it didn't affect the functioning. On one of the stubs, it listed one box twice. But it didn't cause a problem.
Linux Applications & Android apps / Income Tax programs for 2023 f...
Last post by ssfc72 - April 12, 2024, 03:23:32 AM
Here is a Link to a website that lists the Income Tax filing programs, available for the 2023 Income Tax year.

The programs are mostly run on Windows or Android phones but the one I have been using for years, MyTaxExpress does have a downloadable file for Linux computers (even though on this website it says for Windows).
The cost of MyTaxExpress is $6.99 and if your income is less than $10,000, then the program is free.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/digital-services-individuals/netfile-overview/certified-software-netfile-program.html
Last post by William - April 08, 2024, 10:32:35 PM
Quote from: buster on April 08, 2024, 04:02:04 PMYou were lucky William. Where were you at the time?
At home in Mississauga where it only gets a partial eclipse, but close enough.
Last post by buster - April 08, 2024, 04:02:04 PM
You were lucky William. Where were you at the time?
Last post by ssfc72 - April 08, 2024, 03:57:51 PM
The first half of the eclipse was beautiful, here in Lindsay. Then the clouds rolled in solid, at mid eclipse and that was the end of it.
I saw an excellent image trough my telescope with solar filter. I was unfortunately, not able to get my digital mirrorless, Sony camera to get any pictures using the camera lens or  through the telescope. I was unable to get the camera to produce a focused image. :-(

At mid eclipse it got quite dark, outside.

I wonder if Cobourg saw anything? The radar was indicating rain and the satellite cloud cover was showing pretty solid cloud cover.

Edit.  4 pm  Lindsay, ON  The clouds have cleared off and the eclipse is now visible again, for it's last part of it's cycle. :-)
Last post by William - April 08, 2024, 03:36:09 PM
Blanket of dark clouds.  Fortunately, a light patch of cloud passed in front of sun, just in time.  Yeah, I saw the partial eclipse through the cloud.  Street lights and solar lights came on, and few birds sang.
Last post by buster - April 08, 2024, 03:32:04 PM
Streetlight off 3:26. Street lights farther along never came on. And now a few mentally challenged birds are singing the way they do in the morning.

Whole thing more noticeable than I thought it would be, partly because I had to put a kitchen light on while I cooked.
Last post by buster - April 08, 2024, 03:19:36 PM
3:15. Blue sky around sun. Dull light still. Turned on 2 lights in house. Appears to be heading towards dusk. Surprised me.

Can't check sun coverage. No proper specs.

STREETLIGHT across the street on!!! Eerie. 3:22.