• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Linux Mint Upgrade to latest long term - January 2024

Started by buster, January 15, 2024, 04:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Just finished the upgrade on my virtual Linux Mint.

Quick. Trouble free. Simple.

Now I'll do Marilyn's desktop computer. Problems here with the upgrade will make my life unpleasant. I'll report any problems - not problems with Marilyn, but with the upgrade.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

buster

Four minutes. Trouble free. But on her very nice computer.

ssfc72

Good to hear your Mint upgrade was a smooth one.
What Virtual machine program are you using Buster?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

"What Virtual machine program are you using Buster?"

I have used VMWare for years because I'm comfortable with it. Its only flaw that I've noticed is a lack of drag and drop to the host if using an XFCE distro.

I have virtual Mint on my laptop Win10 and virtual Kubuntu on my ancient Win10 desktop that I use with the TV. My newest Win11 has no virtual.

buster

Here's a picture of Marilyn's Mint desktop, image courtesy of latest upgrade.

ssfc72

Good to know, thanks Harry.

Quote from: buster on January 17, 2024, 11:29:02 AM"What Virtual machine program are you using Buster?"

I have used VMWare for years because I'm comfortable with it. Its only flaw that I've noticed is a lack of drag and drop to the host if using an XFCE distro.

I have virtual Mint on my laptop Win10 and virtual Kubuntu on my ancient Win10 desktop that I use with the TV. My newest Win11 has no virtual.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: buster on January 17, 2024, 11:29:02 AM"What Virtual machine program are you using Buster?"

Marilyn's computer has a bare metal install of Mint, no?

I'm also curious, what web browser do you use in each OS, whether virtual or otherwise? I switched back from Vivaldi to Brave when I saw that Brave on my wife's machine seems to block more ads, especially on YouTube. I'm missing some of Vivaldi's features, though, especially their syncing.

Using Brave on my Android phone, too.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

"Marilyn's computer has a bare metal install of Mint, no?
I'm also curious, what web browser do you use in each OS, whether virtual or otherwise?"

Yes Marilyn's computer is not virtual. It runs very nicely. I had a number of spare parts but did have to buy, at a sale in Newmarket, a case and an ssd. This happened before covid. At the time I cloned a Mint I had been using for a few years on a different computer. It has never had a reinstall, just updates and upgrades.

Generally I install Firefox, not because it's the best, but because I am used to it. And Marilyn hasn't used anything else for as far back as I can remember. Similarly we use Thunderbird, which Marilyn has used for all eternity it seems. Some day she may master it.

buster

So Marilyn, being Marilyn, has selected a new desktop background because we saw these birds live in Newfoundland.

Jason

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

The photo was supplied by Mint, one of many that came with the upgrade.