• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: Total solar eclipse, April...
Last post by Jason - March 02, 2024, 01:56:49 PM
I was going to ask you if you had any plans to go to Cobourg to see it, Bill. I bought some eclipse glasses. I plan to go even if it's by my lonesome. None of this partial eclipse here,Cobourg is too close to miss out on a total eclipse.
Meetings / Re: PLUG Mug Friday 3:30 pm, L...
Last post by Jason - March 02, 2024, 01:53:37 PM
I just logged into the forum today. Sorry, Bill.
General Discussion / Re: One of the stories is gath...
Last post by buster - March 02, 2024, 12:10:30 PM
Massive increase in views for our site!

Go to just above 'Latest Posts' and click 'Forum Stats'
Scroll to the bottom of that page and open up some of the years and months by clicking the triangles on the left. Compare views of visitors, listed on the right, for say Mar 1, 2024, with any other March 1 in any other year.

But it appears the huge number of views in not 'a rising tide lifts all boats' thing. The Unpleasant Computer Problem has had 111 views in the last 12 hours. Adventures has had only 42. In total the 5 stories have had 318 views in the same 12 hour period.

If someone else took a different page and arranged the posts from most viewed to least, and recorded numbers for say three threads, we could find out if other sections are getting more views as well. Be careful not to open one of the threads as that will affect the numbers and skew the results.

People or aliens from other solar systems are visiting the site in numbers larger than have ever been recorded, starting this February, unless I've missed something and am totally wrong, as does happen often.
Last post by buster - March 01, 2024, 10:28:57 PM
Even more.

'Further Adventures' was getting zero views. I wrote about this in the thread about the mysterious 'views'. It is now active, and had over 40 views over the last 25 hours. I am not clicking on the threads because I can see the views without opening the thread.

The five stories are suddenly active again, and in total have garnered about 50,000 views.

Actually the whole site is more active as you can see when you check 'Forum Stats'. Look at Feb 2024. Impressive Jason.
Last post by buster - March 01, 2024, 05:47:16 PM
Sorry but I have to share this. Unpleasant has had over 135 views in less than 24 hours. Further Adventures has had 1 view, so it's not a general viewership increase for the whole site.

If I got a dollar for every view, I would be $17,800 richer.

Still, why now?
Last post by buster - March 01, 2024, 09:49:00 AM
Over the last 12 hours, 9:30 PM to 9:30 AM, the leading story for so long, Further Adventures, had zero views.

The once unpopular Unpleasant Computer Problem had 45 views, and is now at 17,732. It was written very close to three years ago.

Further Adventures was written 4.5 years ago and appears to be getting no views at all, and is now 5,500 views behind.

I still suspect Cynthia and Bertha. But you might be right Bill. The AI could have a software glitch.
Last post by ssfc72 - March 01, 2024, 08:58:18 AM
Good one! :-)
Maybe it is a Google AI robot or another AI robot, that likes to keep reading the post. :-)

Quote from: buster on February 27, 2024, 12:33:05 PMMost of my stories gather a few hits every once in a while, but the relatively unpopular one, "The Really Unpleasant Computer Problem", has suddenly become the most popular of all the  stories. No idea why but it recently jumped into the lead and has more than 17,000 hits, and a few thousand of these came in maybe the last 3 weeks. The leader for months or years is now 5000 behind.

General Discussion has 3 of my stories leading in popularity, and 4 of the first 7 threads are stories. All together the stories have or are nearing about 50,000 hits.

The mystery is why now, and why that story. Unless Cynthia Fulltop and Bertha Softbottom are sending out links
Last post by buster - February 29, 2024, 06:47:24 PM
This particular story seems to be getting about 20 views per day. I expect it will reach 18,000 soon. The other stories are not doing this. The question is why now? In views it has passed every story, after sitting in last place, and opened a considerable margin.

Weird, but I'll try to view it optimistically.
General Discussion / Total solar eclipse, April 8, ...
Last post by ssfc72 - February 28, 2024, 04:08:58 PM
https://eclipse2024.org/eclipse-simulator/2024/index.html?city_id=868

This is a good Link to an interactive map of the solar eclipse on April 8.Cobourg is south enough to just be able to see the the eclipse as a Total eclipse.Start time around 2 p . Finish around 3:30 pm
Clear skies. :-)

Edit -  There will also be a comet in the sky, during the time of the Total solar eclipse. It will not be bright enough to see by looking for it, during the eclipse, but with a camera taking a wide angle picture of the eclipse, it should show up on the captured image. The comet will be near Jupiter.
Meetings / Re: PLUG Mug Friday 3:30 pm, L...
Last post by buster - February 27, 2024, 12:37:41 PM
Fridays are as good as any. Our days are organized by need, not in any particular way. We needed food to put on the table last Friday. And I had the van on Thursday.