• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Txt from Linux to Android

Started by ssfc72, August 11, 2016, 11:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

The above topic is found in the old Forums and yesterday I made use of this very handy tool, to copy some clipboard text, from my Mint 17.3 computer to my Moto G android phone, so that I could paste the text into the Memo app, on the phone.

The tool is called ClipSync and it is meant to work at transferring text from the clipboard of a Windows OS computer to the clipboard of your android phone, where you can then paste it into any Form input or in my case, to the Memo app.
This of course works the other way, where you can transfer the android clipboard text to your computer clioboard, for pasting into a document, etc.
Of course, you have to download and install the ClipSync app to your android phone, as well.

The ClipSync tool uses your home wifi system, to make this transfer of clipboard text, happen.

Now in order to make this Windows OS/Android tool work with a Linux computer, you have to email the author of ClipSync and he will email you a jar file, that you need to execute on you linux computer.

This is a very slick tool!  I have the jar file, if anyone wants to try this tool on your linux computer.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

William Park

I recently found "KDE Connect" which enables Android and KDE to pair up.  Download and install "KDE Connect" app on Android.  On Linux side, you can find "KDE Connect" in System Settings > Hardware.

ssfc72

Thanks for the info William!  That looks to be a very neat tool.  I think it will be something to demo at our sept PLUG meeting.

From what I read about the features of KDE Connect, with all those services, the app might put a bit of a drain on your cellphone battery or Data usage, if you have a limited amount of Data allowed for your monthly phoen plan.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

It says it pairs up using WiFi so data usage shouldn't be an issue, at least not for the link. What you do with the link is another matter.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Unfortunately, the Link, no longer works. :-(

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on August 11, 2016, 03:49:55 PM
Here's the link to the topic in the old forums:

http://plugintolinux.ca/node/271

Oh, shit. The Old Forums are up there now. Figured out how to do that a few weeks ago but don't know where the direct link is now. Sorry. It was something lost in the moving of the hosting from one company to another.

Jason

Okay, I found it here. With our old host, I had an option enabled called Clean URLs on which converted this:

https://plugintolinux.ca/?q=node/271

to this:

https://plugintolinux.ca/node/271

It's not enabled on the new host but I'm going to see if I can get it enabled which involves a few more changes then just clicking 'OK'.  Just so you guys get an idea of what is involved in configuring some features on a web server, these are the instructions I will be using.

ssfc72

Thank you very much Jason!  I couldn't find the jar file on my computer, from back in 2016, but the original Link from the Old Forums, to the jar file still works. :-)  So now I can see if I can get ClipSync installed again on my Mint distro.

Jason

Clean URLs are now setup and working. The old styled links (those ending in "?q=node/") will also work in case there are any of those lying around.

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on December 31, 2019, 02:12:46 PM
Thank you very much Jason!  I couldn't find the jar file on my computer, from back in 2016, but the original Link from the Old Forums, to the jar file still works. :-)  So now I can see if I can get ClipSync installed again on my Mint distro.

You're welcome. Enjoy. Btw, a program that is bundled as a jar file actually contains Java runtime code. Most Linux distros still have Java but if it doesn't work, that's why. Just install Java and it will.