Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Distributions / Re: Pop OS Video Review by the Linux Experiment
« Last post by ssfc72 on November 24, 2022, 12:22:51 pm »
Thanks Jason for mentioning that PopOS automatically found your HP printer.
I will have to see if it detects my Brother printer.
« Last post by Jason on November 23, 2022, 03:39:27 pm »
One other thing I liked is that both elementary OS and Pop OS detected my HP printer right away. I didn't have to configure anything. I could just start printing.
General Discussion / Re: Pat Wallwork Passed Away
« Last post by Jason on November 23, 2022, 03:38:06 pm »
Thanks for sharing, Scott. I didn't know you guys talked a lot or that you had war driving in common. How did you find out about his passing? I didn't have you pegged for somebody who reads the obits regularly.

He hosted the PLUG website for a bit, too. He had a Java and website design business. That's actually how we got in touch again. I was looking up the domain wallwork.ca because I wanted it, obviously. I saw his website design business and contacted him. He turned out to be a second cousin that was local. I didn't have a lot of contact with that branch of the family. Remember phonebooks? There weren't many Wallworks listed but we were all related. It's not a common name in Canada but quite common in the UK and Australia oddly.

He was a nice guy and just a couple of years younger than me. Sadly, his dad died at about the same age. Pat also had a spinal disease that caused him a lot of pain. Our family has had a lot of tragedy, his branch particularly. But we did get some chances to hang out. We went to a Linux convention in Ottawa at one point. But we lost touch again when he left the PLUG group. He was definitely a consummate computer geek!

I don't think he made a lot of PLUG meetings, Buster. His career was mainly in trucking and his IT business didn't pan out I guess so he went back to it. So he wasn't around all that much. I remember after he hadn't attended in a long while, he showed up at a meeting and lost a lot of weight. Looked almost like a completely different guy. I almost didn't recognize him.
I hadn't heard of Hick's Law until I read the article. You're not a regular user of Plasma, Fox, so you might find it distracting if you used it regularly. That's why I had to get away from it. I wonder if the author has ADHD, too.

I like purple but I'm not sure I like that much of it, so I feel you, Bill. I don't know how much you can change the colour theme, etc. If you can still access the Plasma features somewhere, you can pretty much change anything.
I read that article when it came out more than a month ago. I can't comment on how well it responds to Hick's Law, but I don't find most distros so complex on the desktop so as to cause me confusion. As far as appearance goes, I find Manjaro more to my aesthetic liking, and if I was to use an Arch-based distro as my main system, I would choose Majaro over anything else.
« Last post by buster on November 22, 2022, 11:41:51 am »
I feel very odd saying this, but I don't remember Pat. Looked at the picture.

He was so young! Crohn's is horrible. A mother and son on our street suffer from it, and that also includes hospital stays. I assume from the obit that is what got him.
I won't be trying it out, I don't like the look of the Desktop.
« Last post by ssfc72 on November 22, 2022, 08:21:13 am »
I have downloaded PopOS before, so I will have to try it out again.
Politics & Society / Re: Artemis I Mission Progress
« Last post by ssfc72 on November 22, 2022, 08:18:10 am »
Thanks for the Link, Jason.
« Last post by ssfc72 on November 22, 2022, 08:16:57 am »
Very sad to hear and at so young an age. Thanks for sharing, Scott.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10