• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Movie theatre safety

Started by ssfc72, June 21, 2020, 09:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

There is an interesting news about the movie theatres going to open up shortly and one company reverse it's initial stance to now require people to wear masks, while Cineplex is optional.

Personally I would not go into a confined space, for a long time, like a movie theatre, without a mask.  Wearing a mask would be a bit troublesome while drinking a cola and eating popcorn, but I still would want to wear a mask, IF, i braved to attend a movie theatre. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Good reason not to eat and drink in the movie theatre. Also, not doing so makes it safer; you're not in a line with other people to buy food and you're not touching something handled by staff.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I wouldn't go into a movie theatre period unless attendees are seated 6 feet apart which probably means  only 1/3 occupancy, masks for not. From what I've read wearing a non-medical mask protects the wearer a little bit but it's far more effective at protecting others. It catches sneezes, coughs and moist breathing/talking but isn't so good at keeping the droplets out from other people. Others masks should not be worn as to reserve them for healthcare workers.

So unless most people in the theatre are wearing masks, I'd pass. I don't go to movies a lot so I'm fine with waiting until we have a vaccine before doing so.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Galaxy Cinemas is open in Peterborough and they're taking a lot of precautions. All seating now is reserved and they are spaced out both behind and ahead as well as side to side. It looks like it's 1/3 capacity and since it's in Peterborough, masks are necessary when ordering food and walking around but can be removed while consuming food in the theatre. Some of their precautions include:

QuoteAuditoriums including seats, handrails and childrenââ,¬â,,¢s booster seats are wiped down with industrial-grade cleaning products between each showtime.
Touchpoints are wiped down every 30 minutes or less.
Hand sanitizer is readily available in the lobby and games area.
All of our auditoriums will undergo a deep cleaning and sanitization every evening.
Employees will have access to gloves and must wash their hands at least every 30 minutes
Please arrive no more than 15 minutes before your showtime to allow for physical distancing in the lobby.
Showtimes are spread out to limit the number of people in common areas.
Employees will be constantly monitoring all areas of the theatre to ensure physical distancing guidelines are met.
We may ask guests to leave via alternative exits after their show to allow for physical distancing in the lobby.
Debit, credit, and gift cards are accepted at all points of sale.
Cash can only be exchanged for a gift card at a designated Concessions register (exact change only).
Some stalls and urinals are out of service to facilitate physical distancing.
Our staff must complete a self-health attestation, as provided by each province, that clears them to work. Staff will be instructed to stay home if they do not pass the provincial self-assessment (before their shift starts) or sent home if they begin to show systems of COVID-19 or the flu during their shift.

There are also the standard precautions that you see stores following. I just picked the notable ones. If I were a regular theatre attendee, I'd likely feel comfortable if they adhere to those standards. But I don't really see movies and the movies they are showing at present are second-run movies.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13