• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Recent posts

Distributions / Re: Linux Mint Upgrade to late...
Last post by Jason - February 03, 2024, 01:23:12 PM
Cute! Is it from a picture that you took?
General Discussion / Tour of the ACE Climatic Wind ...
Last post by Jason - February 03, 2024, 01:21:45 PM
Dave O. from the Durham PC Users Group let us know about an upcoming tour of the ACE (Automotive Centre of Excellence) wind tunnel on February 22. From their informational poster, which is attached:

QuoteThis will blow your socks off ! ACE (Automotive Centre of Excellence) is a world-class R&D facility. Our environment can re create any weather conditions a test object will experience anywhere in the world, from the blis tering heat in Death Valley to the frigid conditions in the Arctic. We can test vehicles operating  under full load with crosswinds and wind speeds up to 280 km/h.

PLUG members are invited to attend but you need to RSVP ahead of time. They need to know numbers. The attached PDF has more details including how to get there.

Distributions / Re: Linux Mint Upgrade to late...
Last post by buster - February 02, 2024, 09:50:56 PM
So Marilyn, being Marilyn, has selected a new desktop background because we saw these birds live in Newfoundland.
Meeting Notes & Minutes / Virtual PLUG Meeting - January...
Last post by Jason - February 01, 2024, 03:52:45 AM
Here's the notes that I used for the presentation in LibreOffice Writer format (.odt). Recent versions of MS Office should also be able to read it. I've also included graphics showing the software updater and the comparison of editions taken from the Zorin OS website main page.

General Discussion / Re: Newjoiner!
Last post by Jason - January 28, 2024, 05:52:47 AM
Welcome, sxravan! Are you hoping to return to Canada for a career? Not that I don't love Canada, but from what I've read about Mauritius online, you're better off working remotely there! :) It Looks like a well-off high-income country and certainly has nicer weather than what we get in most of Canada! Does it really look like this?

General Discussion / Re: Newjoiner!
Last post by buster - January 23, 2024, 05:54:37 PM
Welcome Shravan. Welcome to our PLUG.

I'm curious. Are you signing into some of the larger Ontario Linux groups on the web as well? We do have some connections to other groups that might help you in your career pursuits.
General Discussion / Newjoiner!
Last post by sxravan - January 22, 2024, 10:18:26 PM
Hello all,

I'm Shravan, Linux System Engineer from Mauritius with 4 years of experience. I came to Canada back in December 2023 to pursue a post grad in Information Technology Infrastructure at Conestoga College.

I've been active in the community back in my home country and would like to be a part of this community as well!

The latest presentation I did in Mauritius was at DevCon 2023 which was held at Caudan Arts Centre, Port Louis.

I'm including 2 LinkedIn links in here so you guys can take a look.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/shravandwarka_zilye-2023pdf-activity-7154567751750012928-gMi8
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/shravandwarka_mscc-devconmu-devcon23-activity-7089111968384495616-bzLP

Btw, if you have a part-time remote opportunity for a Linux sysadmin guy, hit me up!

I'm currently working as a part-time Linux System Engineer from Mauritius (full remote), I would like to taste the Canadian experience as well.

Cheers,
Shravan
General Discussion / Re: Brother in the hospital wi...
Last post by buster - January 22, 2024, 08:30:33 PM
"I have not been on the forums in a while'

Brian, you haven't had anything unpleasant going on in your life have you?
Last post by Jason - January 22, 2024, 10:20:03 AM
Thank you, Brian.
Last post by BrianP - January 19, 2024, 06:00:37 PM
I have not been on the forums in a while,  sorry for your loss