Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I haven't read the book but it's impossible not to be familiar with DDT. I had posted a comment earlier about how she might have been wrong about DDT but I deleted it after doing some more reading on one of my favourite skeptical science websites. While the article does note that she inflated the dangers of DDT, the science was there and it's important to note that she never called for an outright ban of DDT, just that other alternatives needed to be looked at. But that doesn't take away from its inherent dangers.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/zika-virus-microcephaly-and-calls-to-bring-back-ddt/
Politics & Society / Re: Scratchy throat and stuffy nose.
« Last post by Jason on Yesterday at 06:50:10 pm »
I read something on Medscape that might interest you. For those under the age of 65, 1 in 8 still had symptoms associated with COVID-19 more than 30 days after infection. And if you're over 65, it increases to 1 in 4. So having symptoms after COVID has passed isn't that unusual. I don't think it's long COVID. It just means that some people take more time to recover fully.
I read that book in high school. It greatly influenced me and led me to pursue a career in environmental science.
Thanks for the Link, Buster. A very interesting wikipedia article.
General Discussion / Today is the 60th Anniversary of Rachel Carson's Book 'Silent Spring'
« Last post by buster on September 28, 2022, 02:53:54 pm »
She was attacked and vilified by the chemical industry that manufactured DDT (big surprise) but her science was sound, and her book changed the way we see the world. She died not long after, but she is remembered for what she did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Spring
Linux Applications & Android apps / Re: Nala - alternative to APT
« Last post by Jason on September 23, 2022, 05:38:54 pm »
You don't really have that option on Linux servers. But I think most Linux users are just as comfortable at the command line as using a GUI. If we were primarily concerned with it being easy, we'd use Windows although there are many ways in which Windows isn't easier. People have just grown used to pain and don't recognize it anywhere.

Even with a car, lots of people prefer to check their oil, refill their window washer fluid and check the air on their tires. Some even go as far as changing their own oil or topping up their transmission fluid. Even for me, that stuff isn't hard and you could fit everything I know about cars onto a postage stamp.
General Discussion / Re: Our Aging Forum Members
« Last post by Jason on September 23, 2022, 05:30:10 pm »
I remember the zoo meetings. We didn't even have internet there! Not even sure we had a projector. Everybody had to sit around a sort of largish monitor. You know we've gotten old when we talk more about the past than the future, probably because there's more behind than in front. Forty, Mr. Poet? Stop bragging! :)
« Last post by Jason on September 23, 2022, 05:25:32 pm »
I did a rapid covid test this morn and it came back negative, even though I still have my symptoms, 12 days after they first occurred.
I will not meet up with people until my symptoms are gone.

That's a long time. You're probably no longer contagious especially since you don't seem to have a viral load, at least not high enough for the test to pick up. Good on you for doing the right thing!
« Last post by ssfc72 on September 23, 2022, 10:04:12 am »
I did a rapid covid test this morn and it came back negative, even though I still have my symptoms, 12 days after they first occurred.
I will not meet up with people until my symptoms are gone.
General Discussion / Re: Our Aging Forum Members
« Last post by buster on September 22, 2022, 02:33:04 pm »
'Island? or Ice floe only time will tell. '

I'm not on an ice flow. I'm stuck here in the past on a solidly rooted island.

I have watched a few modern movies and saw all the bodies pilling up, and the explosions and noise. Then I watched Three Days of the Condor and The Bourne Identity. I don't need to point out the difference. And I will admit there are some modern movies that are very good.

But many of them do not understand the concept of 'subtle'. They do understand noisy and in your face.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10