• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

It's quiet. Too quiet.

Started by Jason, December 18, 2022, 05:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Quote from: William on December 26, 2022, 08:47:48 PM
I checked Walmart, and they sell my battery for $200.  I'll check VW dealership tomorrow.

I can't say I'm experienced with buying car parts but from what other members have told me, dealerships usually overcharge on everything or won't warranty anything unless they install it at a heavily marked-up cost.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on December 23, 2022, 08:16:57 AM
I enjoyed Wakanda Forever. The plot is a real twist on Black Panther. It was a long movie though; longer than it had to be.

I would say that I'm doing more visiting (and traveling) because of the reduced Covid risk. But Covid is certainly not in my rear view mirror. I got my 5th shot recently, and I mask anytime I enter a store or mall. I also avoid some places and events that I think are crowded because of Covid risk.

I still have cable TV, but with my daughter here, we mostly stream from Netflix or Crave. Lately I have been disappointed with cable TV, as several of my favourite shows are doing more reruns than new episodes.

You and I follow the same precautions with COVID. I always have my N95 handy. Omicron is too contagious for other masks to do much, AFAIK. Better than nothing, though. I was quite surprised when one of my nieces posted a picture of her on the plane unmasked coming from Florida of all places. And she's in a higher-risk group (double amputee), too. I know you don't have to, but still.

Crave is pretty good, eh? That's where we found Letterkenny. My wife and I both laugh ourselves crazy watching it. The dialogue is pretty snappy. I find that Crave is better for TV shows and Disney+ is better for movies. But they have quite a few Star Wars series, too. It used to be just kids' stuff but they've expanded their catalogue a lot in the last couple of years.

As for reruns, I imagine that's a holiday thing that will pass in the new year.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

William

Quote from: Jason on December 27, 2022, 06:00:07 PM
I can't say I'm experienced with buying car parts but from what other members have told me, dealerships usually overcharge on everything or won't warranty anything unless they install it at a heavily marked-up cost.
I ended up buying battery at VW dealership whose price was about the same as Walmart.  Strange that OEM at dealership is same price as retail at Walmart...

cod3poet

16 cores is only half of the full allocation. I drank the devops kool aid and am now cutting my own ISO images of a highly HIGHLY customized arch linux distro, this will be the 7th is I have generated and I am working on setting up a group of virtual machines to then convert to a Kubernetes cluster. Next step. World domination of course.

That and starting a new position, learning the ropes and getting settled in again after the holidays! belated happy new year.

P.s. I have been administering Windows Domains for 20 years as of 2023... BUT I have been running Linux servers even longer. Ph3ar the penguin!
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Jason

Quote from: cod3poet on January 06, 2023, 05:30:13 PM
16 cores is only half of the full allocation. I drank the devops kool aid and am now cutting my own ISO images of a highly HIGHLY customized arch linux distro, this will be the 7th is I have generated and I am working on setting up a group of virtual machines to then convert to a Kubernetes cluster. Next step. World domination of course.

The comment begs the question. How come you're not using the full allocation? I mean 8 cores are the minimum now, isn't it? ;) Let us know how world domination goes. I'm betting on AI winning out but humans need our champion, too.