• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

SPACEX SENT NASA ASTRONAUTS INTO ORBIT USING LINUX

Started by ssfc72, June 05, 2020, 08:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Cool. I remember reading somewhere before about the ISS using Linux as it mentions in this article. I've heard that a lot of scientists use Linux in research applications maybe just in supercomputer data crunching. The Wikipedia article on Linux notes that as of 2017, all supercomputers on the 500 list run some variant of Linux. The same entry notes that Linux is used a lot in space applications including within JPL.

It's pretty neat when you hear another siting of Linux in the wild. :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on June 05, 2020, 09:00:34 AM
I wonder what distro they were using?

I wouldn't expect it to be a distro we're familiar with, although I think Debian makes an embedded version of Linux. I'd expect they'd create their own customized version.

It took a bit of searching but I finally found this 2017 article that says, the Falcon rockets use "Multiple COTS computers, custom Linux 3.2 with real-time patches" in a chart on page 6. That version must be referring to the kernel. Page 13 refers to the rockets using a "highly customized version of Linux" on page 12 and on page 13 has more information about the kernel and software:

QuoteOnly those functionalities needed for the SpaceX implementation have been carried from the original kernel - only around 10-15 percent of original code. SpaceX has also made their own mission-specific modificationsto the kernel, and custom drivers have also been added. The kernel has been carefully evaluated, especially focusing on the scheduler performance

SpaceX ï¬,ight software developers use a lot of standard GNU tools such as gcc, gdb,ftrace, netfilter, and iptables. SpaceX includes extensive metrics gathering to their software, including but not limited to performance, network utilization, and CPU load.

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13