• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Run Linux on your Android device

Started by ssfc72, April 13, 2020, 01:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

A very good youtube video on how to run different Linux Distros on your Android device.
The guy does recommend that your android device have 3 Gig  Ram of memory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvuufPWKF3k

See also -  https://andronix.app/
https://andronix.app/faq-frequently-asked-questions/
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Snazzy. Are they any Linux distros you are thinking of trying on your phone or tablet? I imagine it would be very hard to use on a phone unless you outputted to a monitor.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

My Samsung *' Tab A tablet only has 2 G of memory. :-(    I would like to try it on a tablet, so maybe I should look for a good used one that has 4 G memory. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on April 13, 2020, 04:48:28 PM
My Samsung *' Tab A tablet only has 2 G of memory. :-(    I would like to try it on a tablet, so maybe I should look for a good used one that has 4 G memory. :-)

I found it odd that 3 GB of RAM is required when the Raspberry Pi 3, also based on an ARM chip can run on 1 GB. I know you have to have a light distro like Raspbian for it to function and it's a different ARM chip so customized. But you think that'd mean they could have a light distro on it that would work. Perhaps the 3 GB is only required for the heavier distros.

It'd be interesting to try and see if it functions. I have an old tablet that I couldn't see on here or to friends on Facebook. It only has 1.5 GB of RAM but since it's not used for anything, it'd be good test tablet to see if it's possible.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

I looked on the web pages for the main app that is needed to be downloaded and I could not find any info, saying how much memory your device needed to have.
I would imagine you need at least 3 G of memory because some of the memory is running the OS that is on the tablet or phone and some memory would be used by the apps needed to run the linux distro  on the tablet/phone, as well.

Jason

Ah, I got you. It sounds like maybe it's running a VM guest with Android as the host. Probably would take up a lot more RAM but they might use storage to remedy that.  I can't find the memory requirements on the Andronix page either.