Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Ontario COVID Passport info
« Last post by Jason on Yesterday at 07:07:53 pm »
Thanks, Bill.

I believe the QR code will be part of an app. Why it's taken them this long, I have no idea. The app or some quicker vaccination verification process is something they should have been working on since last year. How about a bigger font, for example?

I kept the certificates they gave me after I was vaccinated. I still went to the government website and downloaded the PDFs as a backup. Might be better to just show them on my phone and use paper as the backup since the printouts are so flimsy.

I've had to use the certificates the last couple of months when visiting my brother at Fairhaven. You don't have to be vaccinated to visit but if you are, you can skip the rapid test, which takes about 15-20 minutes for the results. They only ask to see the 2nd shot verification. It lists on it that it's a second shot so no need to see both, really.

Here's hoping that not too many businesses have to deal with unruly customers refusing to follow the measures. Of course, except for nightclubs, the unvaccinated can still eat and drink outside. So the anger will probably happen when icicles are forming on their noses. :P
General Discussion / Ontario COVID Passport info
« Last post by ssfc72 on Yesterday at 09:08:16 am »
Here is a good Link to info about the current Ontario COVID passport.
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/how-to-get-your-proof-of-your-covid-19-vaccination-in-ontario-1.5569629

You can download and print out your 2nd covid vacination receipt, for showing at places that you want to enter.
The QR code picture will be available for use, on Oct 22.
Politics & Society / Re: Election prediction
« Last post by Jason on Yesterday at 03:54:02 am »
I don't know how many of you were fans of the TV show Seinfeld. In one episode, the main characters are pitching a show to NBC that would be "about nothing". That comment couldn't describe this election better. And like TV shows that bomb, the election cost a lot of money, to achieve nothing. Some seats were won and lost but everyone is back at the starting gates with almost exactly the same seat totals. And it only cost over $300 million.

And Trudeau sees this as a stamp of approval from Canadians for his plan! He reminds me of Joe Clarke when he received a minority and said he'd govern as if he had a majority. Had the Conservative vote been more efficient, we would have had a Conservative win as they had the higher popular vote. And it would have been because Trudeau had to have his majority, one which he didn't need to do his program. But parties, especially governing ones, don't like to work with others. Sigh.

Be interesting to see if the mail-in ballots change anything (there are over a million), perhaps a few close seats. Not enough to change this election about nothing.
« Last post by Jason on September 20, 2021, 11:26:09 pm »
Well, shiiiiiit.
Articles, Tutorials and Tips / Re: Why you should have swap even if you have lots of memory
« Last post by Jason on September 20, 2021, 06:46:13 pm »
I guess unless you're using what is now considered a low memory system, less than a 4 GB, the distros don't bother with creating swap. They should still make one for hibernation or at least ask if you want that ability. Unlike suspend, it uses no power but will bring you back to your work session just like suspend does.
« Last post by Jason on September 20, 2021, 06:33:20 pm »
Thanks for responding. In regards to my second question - when do you think we will know if there's a majority or even who ends up winning the most seats?

Here's my prediction. I'm going to predict exact seat totals kind of like a betting pool (or a puddle for us since nobody else is participating).

Liberal        156 (-1)
Conservative   125 (+4)
NDP             35 (+11)
Bloc            24 (-8)
Green            1 (-1)
PPC              1 (+1)

Like you, I don't think much will change. The Conservatives will be up slighting by taking some extra seats in Quebec due to Liberal/Bloc vote splits.

The NDP will gain the most taking seats from the Liberals because of the Liberal/Conservative vote splitting in some Toronto ridings.

The Bloc will fall quite a bit because of increased Conservative support pulling away from a few seats in the usual area (East shore, I believe) and I think the NDP will gain 2 more seats in Quebec (they still have one).

The Greens have 2 seats right now but will lose 1 because the infighting will cause their new MP to lose likely to the Liberals. Elizabeth May will hold her seat, their leader won't get hers and she'll resign or be fired.

The PPC will get the seat won by their fearless unvaccinated, anti-mask, anti-lockdown yahoo, I mean, leader. As for how long he lives to hold it with his poor health choices; we'll see.

While the Conservatives would be happy to get back that PPC vote there's a real cost there in terms of losing public support of moderates if they did it. And I'm not sure the PPC will want to join them. The PPC voters aren't just disgruntled former Conservatives, they're Trumpists and conspiracy nuts mixed in with some freedom drum-bangers. And they'll be cocky after the increase in popular support even if it doesn't mean much. I think their leader will get bored after a while anyway. He only created the party because he couldn't win the Conservative leadership. So, it will take another election before the two parties will even consider joining, and then only if the Liberals have a majority after that election.

Forgot to add that if the NDP winners bigger than I've said, and I really hope they do, those additional seats will come from BC seats. It's a 3-way split in popular vote between the big 3 there.
« Last post by fox on September 20, 2021, 07:46:44 am »
My prediction is that we'll end up almost the same as it was. Liberals will get the most seats but be 15-25 short of a majority. Conservatives will again get around 120. The NDP will make out the best relative to their previous showing; up to 35 or 40. The Bloc will stay about the same, and the Greens will go down, getting only 1 or 2 seats in B.C. The PPC probably won't get a seat; if they do it will be Bernier's. Regardless, the PPC will be the big winner, as their popular vote will be 6-8% and they will now have to be considered more than a fringe party. This will leave the Conservatives in a worse state, and they will have to decide in the near future whether to move further right again to absorb the PPC or to stick where they appear to be by their platform, opening them up to more people in the middle of the political spectrum, but leaking more to the PPC on the right.
Thanks for the swap file/partition info Jason.
I just installed Mint 20.1 to a partition on my notebook computer and it did not make me create a swap partition.
I just ran the swapon -show command and it shows no hard drive space used for the swapfile.
Articles, Tutorials and Tips / Re: Why you should have swap even if you have lots of memory
« Last post by Jason on September 20, 2021, 01:01:41 am »
System Monitor is what it's called in Ubuntu, I guess. It's Task Manager in Xfce. Htop works, too. It's a command-line program. Both should show your swap and how much of it you're using if it's there and enabled. In the terminal, you can enter this command to see if you have it working as well:

Code: [Select]
swapon -show
On my system, that shows:

Filename                     Type          Size    Used    Priority
/swapfilefile                 file         1358916 0       -2
/dev/zram0                    partition    490920  208680 5
/dev/zram1                    partition    490920  209292 5
/dev/zram2                    partition    490920  212688 5
/dev/zram3                    partition    490920  212092 5

Note that I'm using zram on my system which is something that you have to add separately. What it does is compress files that are then cached in the swap.

That command also turns on swap on and swapoff disables it. /etc/fstab lists present swap whether it's a file or a partition. If it appears there, then the swap is automatically configured to start at bootup. But you can also start it at any time with:

swapon -a
That command option reads /etc/fstab and creates all swapfiles and mounts any swap partitions. Swap is enabled.

Unless swap is in /etc/stab, it won't be automatically enabled at boot. In my fstab file the swap line looks like this:
/swapfile                                 none            swap    sw              0       0
If it's a file (as above), you don't need to mention the drive since it's on /.

If you don't have swap set up, it's recommended to create it with dd like this:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1024 count=1048576
Or create a partition for it. If it's a file, multiply the block size bs (it's in bytes) by the count to get the swap size, in this case, a gigabyte. You don't have to specify the block size and if you don't, it's set to 512 bytes. The math with 1024 is easier.

For kicks, I turned off swap on my system temporarily. It was using about 85% of RAM but otherwise was running fine with swap (in other words, it wasn't using swap as extra RAM but for caching less-used files so I didn't run out of RAM as easily. When I turned swap off, my system practically froze. I couldn't move the mouse. I dropped to a virtual terminal, logged in (which took more than a minute for it to respond to my login/password), and re-enabled swap. Everything is fine again.
Politics & Society / Proportional Representation - why it's better than what we have
« Last post by Jason on September 19, 2021, 07:59:00 pm »
I know most of you have likely already voted and but I hope you'll read this anyway and think about it for the next election. I spent almost two hours researching and writing it so I hope you can spare 5-10 minutes to read it. And it's about our democracy. It's important.

Here in Peterborough-Kawartha, Maryam Monsef was elected with 39% of the vote. The 61% of people who voted for other parties don't have their wishes represented locally at the federal Liberal. If you're a Liberal, you might consider this a great result because they're better than the Conservatives. But you shouldn't because it's not just about them. Remember that 61% of the voters in this riding have had no representation of their party, their platform, their ideas, etc, here. That should mean something if you believe, as I'm sure you do, in democracy.

In the nearby riding of Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock, the Conservative candidate was elected with 45% of the vote. 65% of voters, including 32% of Liberals, have no local representation of their values at the federal level. I know Bill is in that riding and so is another friend of mine. This riding almost always elects a Conservative. Bill and my friend don't have their party represented locally despite them and 1/3 of voters (if they both vote Liberal).

In other ridings, we can see similar patterns. And at the provincial level, the results are even more distorted. Losing parties that won seats either were woefully underrepresented or they almost didn't win any. That includes Liberals that lack any representation in two provinces at all. That should matter for Liberals as well. In places like Alberta, this happens on a regular basis. You'd think almost all voters are supporters of the conservative UCP party but they're not. It's the distortion of our voting system. I'm going to show some provincial examples with the main 3 parties by popular vote and seat total by number and percentage and you can see what I mean. Sorry about the formatting.

Alberta:
             Total Vote     Seats Won     Total Seats     Difference (Over/Under representation)
UCP(Con)        69%         33              97%                 +28%
NDP             24%         1                3%                  -21%   
Liberal         14%        0                0%                  -14%   NO LIBERALS but 14% of vote!

Saskatchewan:              % of Vote     Seats Won     % of Seats     Difference (Over/Under representation)
SP(Con)         64%           14              100                  +26%
NDP             20%             0             0                  -20%    NO NDP but 20% of vote!
Liberal         12%             0              0                   -12%    NO LIBERALS bute 12% of vote

Nova Scotia:
Liberals          41%           10                91%            +50%
Cons              26%            1                   9%            -17%
NDP               19%            0                  0%             -19%    NO NDP!

Is that fair? Is that democratic ultimately? Note that in most provinces, look them up here, the party that wins the most of the seats did NOT win the majority of votes (50% + 1).
A proportional system would have had Liberals in the prairie provinces (other than Manitoba). A proportional system would have the NDP represented in Nova Scotia and other Maritime provinces. And in Quebec, the Bloc wouldn't be over-represented. It's really bad for Canada where a separatist party running in only one province can form the Official Opposition as in 1993 and close to it 1997. It's really bad for Canada to have a party form the official opposition with only 1 seat east of the Prairies as in 1997 (only 1 from Canada's two most populous provinces). And I'm sure that Liberals will agree it's bad for Canada and democracy to have the Conservatives control the strings from 2006-2015 with a majority in 2011 despite winning much less than the majority of voters, about 41%.

Think about it. Our system is one that most Western democracies have rejected. There are other systems. But my main goal is to have a citizen's assembly on electoral reform that would let a group of Canadians recommend a system of proportional representation that would meet our needs. PR is an end goal, not a method of reaching it. There are a variety of systems that can do it. You can read more here[/url]. Lots of graphics, too. It's not as hard as people think. Vote for a local rep. Vote for a party. That's it.

If you read this far, thanks for reading.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10