• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Apps you can't do without on your phone/tablet

Started by Jason, September 09, 2020, 12:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Interesting selection! I like doing these lists because we learn about other apps and alternative ways of doing things. I knew something amateur radio related would be in there somewhere. :)

You mentioned going to the YouTube site using Opera instead of using the app. Do you ever do this over data and not just wifi? Normally, if there is a choice between doing something in the browser on a phone/tablet or using an app built for it, the app will have less data transfer. It may use compression to deliver the data from the server to the device. Or may just transfer less data by truncating a lot of the normal overheard of transmitting webpages (GET/REPLY commands, etc.) and probably uses videos/image sizes that are designed for smaller devices which results in less data transfer, too. If you're doing it all over wifi, it obviously doesn't matter except that videos might start faster. You can also get picture-in-picture with the app which can be useful.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I only have 100MB of Data/month on my phone Data plan, so I would only use Data to browse web sites that do not have much graphics/media.
The Opera browser, I believe, does use some compression and other tweaks, to minimise data usage.  The browser also can be changed from mobile to desktop usage, in case the mobile website is crippled too much and you need to view the desktop version of a website, to get better information.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Ah, I see. I don't know if you can still do this but remember when the web was super slow even though it didn't have a lot of pictures? And the browser let you turn off images completely so you could browser faster?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13