• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Recent posts

Linux Applications & Android apps / Income Tax programs for 2023 f...
Last post by ssfc72 - April 12, 2024, 03:23:32 AM
Here is a Link to a website that lists the Income Tax filing programs, available for the 2023 Income Tax year.

The programs are mostly run on Windows or Android phones but the one I have been using for years, MyTaxExpress does have a downloadable file for Linux computers (even though on this website it says for Windows).
The cost of MyTaxExpress is $6.99 and if your income is less than $10,000, then the program is free.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/digital-services-individuals/netfile-overview/certified-software-netfile-program.html
General Discussion / Re: Total solar eclipse, April...
Last post by William - April 08, 2024, 10:32:35 PM
Quote from: buster on April 08, 2024, 04:02:04 PMYou were lucky William. Where were you at the time?
At home in Mississauga where it only gets a partial eclipse, but close enough.
Last post by buster - April 08, 2024, 04:02:04 PM
You were lucky William. Where were you at the time?
Last post by ssfc72 - April 08, 2024, 03:57:51 PM
The first half of the eclipse was beautiful, here in Lindsay. Then the clouds rolled in solid, at mid eclipse and that was the end of it.
I saw an excellent image trough my telescope with solar filter. I was unfortunately, not able to get my digital mirrorless, Sony camera to get any pictures using the camera lens or  through the telescope. I was unable to get the camera to produce a focused image. :-(

At mid eclipse it got quite dark, outside.

I wonder if Cobourg saw anything? The radar was indicating rain and the satellite cloud cover was showing pretty solid cloud cover.

Edit.  4 pm  Lindsay, ON  The clouds have cleared off and the eclipse is now visible again, for it's last part of it's cycle. :-)
Last post by William - April 08, 2024, 03:36:09 PM
Blanket of dark clouds.  Fortunately, a light patch of cloud passed in front of sun, just in time.  Yeah, I saw the partial eclipse through the cloud.  Street lights and solar lights came on, and few birds sang.
Last post by buster - April 08, 2024, 03:32:04 PM
Streetlight off 3:26. Street lights farther along never came on. And now a few mentally challenged birds are singing the way they do in the morning.

Whole thing more noticeable than I thought it would be, partly because I had to put a kitchen light on while I cooked.
Last post by buster - April 08, 2024, 03:19:36 PM
3:15. Blue sky around sun. Dull light still. Turned on 2 lights in house. Appears to be heading towards dusk. Surprised me.

Can't check sun coverage. No proper specs.

STREETLIGHT across the street on!!! Eerie. 3:22.
Security and Privacy / Re: A backdoor discovered into...
Last post by Jason - April 08, 2024, 02:35:21 AM
Thanks for letting us know, Bill. The Ars Technica article also mentioned that Arch Linux stable was affected but that Arch isn't used in production systems. Our resident cod3poet might have words.

AT also notes the backdoor affects SSH specifically. If you're not sure if you're using it, you're likely not. It's a command-line tool for accessing Linux boxes. It sounds like someone caught it before it spread very far. Good for them but scary that it could have gone unnoticed if not for that volunteer.
Last post by Jason - April 08, 2024, 02:22:05 AM
Quote from: ssfc72 on April 07, 2024, 05:54:11 AMThe weather forecast for Cobourg (https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/ca/cobourg) shows about 85% cloud cover around 2 pm.

Probably I will not travel all the way to Cobourg, to try and see the Total eclipse. I will just stay here in Lindsay and see if the partial eclipse is visible.

The weather report is disappointing. The best place to watch a partial eclipse is in Alberta this time. You better start now, Bill! ;) Even in the US, they're not expecting clear skies through most of the path.

I'd still be interested to see the nature changes in the darkness so if anyone else is going to Cobourg or anywhere along totality, please let me know. Message me if you need my phone number.