• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

My Computer Stories are Missing

Started by buster, September 04, 2020, 01:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Arriving Soon: Further Adventures restored.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

buster

'Further adventures' restored except for one Fox comment near the end.

Leaves one more to do.

I also want to say how much I enjoyed reading them as I repaired. Parts are really good. Better than I remember. He said modestly.

Jason

Quote from: buster on September 05, 2020, 06:43:23 PM
The first story is as far s I can see completely restored.

If you mean the parts I worked on, there were still a few symbols that I didn't know what to do with that you'd have to fix unless you already did. In any case, I'm glad the stories weren't actually gone, just "invisible".

The "invisibility" of them is probably why they don't show up in Google. But their bot spiders the site every day so they should make their way back up. It actually shows me in the logs when the search engines check the site which is pretty cool. But Google algorithms aren't anything I have control over. There's SEO (Search Engine Optimization), something I haven't learned and might never learn. I'm trying to get more balance in my life and focus on the things that really matter.

One thing you can try is to pick a subject line that may be more likely to get hits for each post in the story. For example, take the heading in the text field (where the actual post is) and put it in the subject line. That way people looking for specific subjects are more likely to find it. Also, if there are forums you frequent, try posting a comment with a link to the story in a relevant threat, of course. Google raises the ranking of sites and pages that other sites that point to them (via links). It may not be worth your time so that's up to you. :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

'there were still a few symbols that I didn't know what to do with'

Did every one. Tedious.

Jason

Quote from: buster on September 05, 2020, 10:46:15 PM
Did every one. Tedious.

Yep. Did you use search and replace? It would have made the work easier. It looked like most were meant to be replaced by a hyphen an apostrophe. Doing each individually is to forget what computers do best, the mundane. :)
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

' looked like most were meant to be replaced by a hyphen.'

At least 3 situations to work with involving ", ' and -. Not that many were actually hyphens. Contractions and quotations mainly.

There actually weren't that many per story to work with, and I could read the stories as I did it which was fun.

One story to finish.

Jason

Quote from: buster on September 05, 2020, 11:37:18 PM
At least 3 situations to work with involving ", ' and -. Not that many were actually hyphens. Contractions and quotations mainly.

Sorry, that was a mistake - I meant apostrophe. I really did! Hey, why are you laughing? Stop that!

I was very tired when I wrote that. :) That's my defence.

buster

All three stories now cleaned up I believe, but there is one post apparently missing. I remember Bill and Mike commented on it so it was once in the forum. Can't find  of it anywhere. The title was probably:

The Real Ms Hui Yin Tao of ââ,¬ËœAdventures with an Old Desktop Trilogyââ,¬â,,¢

It ended with a Lone Ranger video, probably on YouTube.

Jason

Sounds like a 'big fish that got away story' to me.