PLUG > Meeting Notes & Minutes

PLUG Meeting review, Jan 20

(1/3) > >>

ssfc72:
There was good attendance at last night's meeting with 9 people coming to hear Mike's talk on the Dex program on the Samsung S8 and S9 smart phone.

This program allows you to output the phone's display to HDMI ( with the use of an adapter or dock) to a large screen monitor or in Mike's demo, to a video projector.  The hdmi ouput using the Dex program gives you a full screen display, just like you would get from your hdmi from your computer.

Mike had a bit of a struggle initially in getting the projector to show the phone display but finally it was resolved and the full screen projector display from Mike's Samsung S9 was fantastic!

In hindsight, it was too bad we didn't think to promote/advertise Mike's demo of the Dex program in the Peterborough area, because I am sure there would have been lots of people interested in seeing the demo, if they had seen it posted somewhere.

On a different topic, Harry had a Linux question to ask of the group, about cloning a part of a Distro partiton to another hard drive. This particular Distro, was all customised the way Harry wanted and he didn't want to lose this Distro when he moved it to another hdd/ssd.   Besides using Clonzilla for cloning someone suggested to use Gparted and found a YouTube video of someone using Gparted for cloning.

Edit - thanks for the great demo, Mike!  As usual, you did a very nice presentation.

fox:
Just an addition to Bill's post about gparted, here is an article with easy to follow instructions on how to clone a partition with this program. I'm really glad that Harry brought up this partition question because until last night, I had no idea that gparted could clone partitions. This looks like an easier solution than clonezilla, especially if you want to do this through a nice graphical interface.

fox:
I have posted my notes here. They are not a how-to, but rather an overview of what DeX does and why someone with a DeX-enabled Samsung phone (S8-S10 or Note 8-10) or tablet (S4, S5e, S6) would want to use it. If you have setup questions, there are a number of YouTube videos that will walk you through it, including the type of connector that you need. As I showed when we hooked up Laurie's S8 phone, DeX is pretty automatic, as long as your phone (or tablet) is supported by Samsung for DeX operation.

DeX is supposed to work, not only on a display, but also on PC and Mac operating systems when you download the DeX application for these. I tried this on both a Mac and a PC and was not able to get it to work on either. I believe that the reason is, for this type of operation, it only works with an S10 phone or Note 10, or it requires Android 10, or both. But you need only Android 9 to run DeX on a display that isn't running Windows or MacOS.

buster:
"someone suggested to use Gparted"

Harry suggested Gparted because of the gui.  :) But I wasn't sure and needed wiser minds to say it would work.Many helpful suggestions. Thanks.

buster:
From the Dex page:

The Samsung DeX service is currently available on the Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+, Galaxy S8 Active, Galaxy Note8, Galaxy S9, Galaxy S9+, Galaxy Note9, Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10 5G, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S10e, Galaxy Tab S4, Galaxy Tab S5e, Galaxy Note10, Galaxy Note10+, Galaxy Note10 5G, Galaxy Note10+ 5G, and Galaxy Tab S6.

? The features that are available may vary slightly by model. We are planning to provide software updates to expand the availability of the service.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version