• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

CrossOver Linux - which package?

Started by ssfc72, January 15, 2020, 09:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

CrossOver Linux by Codeweavers has 3 different priced packages. Does anyone have advice about buying the least expensive package, which does not have any support or upgrades?
In other words does the no support version keep working at running the win OS programs over the years or does it begin to fail to run the Windows programs, as the Windows programs get updated or Linux itself gets updated.

There is a more costly Crossover package that does have support/upgrades, but it is only for one year about $60 USD.

The lifetime support package is about $500 USD. :-(
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I have always bought the one-year support package, but always on discount ($30 US). Codeweavers runs discounts pretty often; watch for them or just search for Crossover discount in a browser. I don't use Tech Support very often, and one can also find answers to tech problems on the internet. The biggest advantage of the one year package in my opinion is the free upgrade for a year, although honestly, I haven't found any feature in the upgrade to make any difference to the PC programs I run (mainly MS Office). And you can always add tech support later.

I have also paid an additional $30 US to upgrade on several occasions. Codeweavers is a good company. They contribute heavily to Wine development and they deserve to be supported. If you're thinking of buying Crossover, download it first for free (it works for 30 days) and try it with the PC applications you are interested in running. If it doesn't work for you, don't buy it. If it does work and you're not interested in paying for the convenience it provides over Wine, try running the programs of interest on Wine itself. Personally, I think CrossOver is well worth the $30 US.

Incidentally, I just found a coupon online that knocks the price for the one year support version down to $39 US. I would buy it for that price.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Thanks for the info Mike. Yes, I was emailed by CodeWeavers about a special price that they have going, right now.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service