• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Forum software @ kernel updates

Started by Jason, January 07, 2020, 05:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

This morning the software that runs the forum (SMF) was updated to the latest version. And a kernel update was applied.

The forum software update addresses some security vulnerabilities, adds GDPR compliance, and a couple of serious bugs (that you wouldn't have noticed). If you're really nosy or just curious, you can read up here on all the changes.

The kernel update was to fix a bug rated as medium severity.

This information is provided so you know that your faithful webmaster actually does something once in a while ;-).  From the standpoint of a user, you should not notice any changes that you need to worry about. However, the forums are a smidgen more secure and stable than they were yesterday.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Good to know, Jason. Thanks for doing such a good job in maintaining our website.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Thanks, Mike. I'll try to do this more often in case members are interested in seeing how often server software is updated and compare it to what they experience with desktop versions. Thankfully, there aren't as many updates but there is are also many less programs but many cannot be upgraded easily (i.e. 'sudo apt full-upgrade').

The server uses an LTS version of a Linux OS which will have to be entirely upgraded in 2023.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13