• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Desktop computer blueray player needed

Started by ssfc72, January 04, 2020, 01:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I am interested in getting a blueray player for a desktop computer. I don't want too spend money on buying a new one, so a used blueray player from an old desktop  would be nice.
Anyone know of where I may be likely to find one?

Thanks

Update - sold!
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Locally, I'd call Reboot Peterborough. I don't know whether they'd have the best price or even have them as their donations are usually from corporations or schools. But they'd be used so at least you'd keep one from ending up in the landfill and support local business.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Thanks Jason. Yes, I meant to check out the reboot place in Peterborough, but keep forgetting about it, when I am in Peterborough. :-(
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

I have bought several computers over the years from there and they've been great. They have 90 day warranties but never had a reason to use one.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

dougal

the restore gets them regularly, I could ask them to set one aside for you if that helps....I thought i read somewhere that you could play the discs thru the dvd drive with supplemental software, any one know about this?

Jason

Quote from: dougal on January 05, 2020, 02:02:43 PM
the restore gets them regularly, I could ask them to set one aside for you if that helps....I thought i read somewhere that you could play the discs thru the dvd drive with supplemental software, any one know about this?

I've never heard of that and it doesn't sound possible. It's not just a software issue, Blu-ray has drastically higher storage capacity than DVD and therefore the density of data is higher and the pits are much smaller so an optical reader for a DVD drive couldn't read one for a Blu-ray drive, it'd too damn big.

Blu-ray drives are backwards compatible, so they can read DVDs but not the other way around. They can also read CDs. They do this by having two lasers, one for DVDs and one for Blu-rays, one is blue, the other is red. I'll let you guess which one is for which. ;-)

ssfc72

That would be good, Dougal. The blueray player needs to be one that installs into a desktop computer and not one that just sends an hdmi signal to a tv monitor.
Thanks.

Quote from: dougal on January 05, 2020, 02:02:43 PM