• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Library Overdrive ebook/audiobook service has been dropped

Started by ssfc72, December 29, 2019, 05:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

The Lindsay and Peterborough library's have dropped the electronic Overdrive service for downloading ebooks/audiobooks to your computer/phone tablet. :-(
The Overdrive service would allow you download the book to your device and read/listen to it, without having to have an internet/data connection.

The library's are now using a service called, CloudLibrary (CL) which is suppose to have the same ebook/audiobooks, but instead of downloading the title to your device, you now must have either an internet connection or Data connection in order to stream the content and read/listen to your title.

This is a very big step backwards for me, because I can no longer read or listen to an ebook, when I am away from the house and don't have an internet connection for my computer,smartphone, mp3 player(mp3 players don't have the hardware to access the internet).

I do know of a way of getting around this annoying limitation but it involves a number of time consuming steps/operations to be taken and the need to use the Widows OS, ugh!  :-(

I shall let the Library know of my displeasure with the removal of the Overdrive service.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

That does suck! I knew that the library was changing services, but I didn't know about the streaming. But are you sure that this applies to eBooks? They take up so little space.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Does the Lindsay library have Hoopla, too? It also has ebooks and audiobooks for stream and download.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Okay, this is weird. I got the CloudLibrary app, did a search for a Michio Kaku book and when I tapped on it to read, it said "downloading now". I put my tablet into airplane mode and swiped through a few pages. It seems to work.

Perhaps it's just certain books that they don't let you download, Bill?

Or perhaps the Lindsay library has a more restrictive subscription to the server that doesn't allow downloads?
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Looks to me, that the ebooks are streamed as well as audiobooks, with the CloudLibrary service.  I just went though selecting a book to read and there was no option to download.  That is so lame!

Quote from: fox on December 29, 2019, 08:05:12 AM
That does suck! I knew that the library was changing services, but I didn't know about the streaming. But are you sure that this applies to eBooks? They take up so little space.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

ssfc72

Ok, I am running on my desktop computer, so it looks like with a desktop computer you can't download an ebook but with a device App, it appears you can, download.
Try getting an audiobook from your device App and see if the audiobook can be downloaded.

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on December 29, 2019, 09:31:21 AM
Okay, this is weird. I got the CloudLibrary app, did a search for a Michio Kaku book and when I tapped on it to read, it said "downloading now". I put my tablet into airplane mode and swiped through a few pages. It seems to work.

Perhaps it's just certain books that they don't let you download, Bill?

Or perhaps the Lindsay library has a more restrictive subscription to the server that doesn't allow downloads?

buster

I think you are wrong Bill, or partly wrong. First of all, with an ebook from the Peterborough library, on line or not doesn't matter, once the book is fully downloaded.  Second, there MAY be a problem with some audio books.Here is  quote from your library's very nice web page:

" Can I listen to my e-Audiobook offline?

Yes, offline listening is available in the mobile apps once an e-Audiobook has been fully downloaded. Note: Traveling in and out of network coverage may result in a loss of connection of an active download or playing of an e-Audiobook. You may need to the tap the download and/or play button to resume when this occurs."

They will be open at 1:00, so you can phone to confirm:  (705) 324-9411 ext. 1263
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on December 29, 2019, 10:54:49 AM
Ok, I am running on my desktop computer, so it looks like with a desktop computer you can't download an ebook but with a device App, it appears you can, download.
Try getting an audiobook from your device App and see if the audiobook can be downloaded.

It didn't have a 'Download' option per se, the audiobook I chose had listen and borrow options. I chose borrow and then opened it up to listen to it. It started playing and there was a centre circle that showed download progress while it continued playing. When it was done, I put the tablet into airplane mode and a few minutes later it was still playing.

Do you normally listen to audiobooks on a laptop without internet access? If so, I'd suggest setting up an android emulator or an android OS on it and installing the app.

I hope you haven't complained to your library yet! At least not without giving them a call to see if you're using the app/service correctly.

ssfc72

Yes, the Lindsay library does have Hoopla but Hoopla says they do not support Linux and I was unable to get Hoopla to play an audiobook, using Mint 19 Distro on my notebook computer.
The audiobook I tried just kept trying to download/stream but Hoopla never did get any further than that. :-(

I didn't see any option to download the audiobook so I am assuming that on a computer, Hoopla just streams the audiobook.

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on December 29, 2019, 09:21:30 AM
Does the Lindsay library have Hoopla, too? It also has ebooks and audiobooks for stream and download.

Jason

Hoopla has an app, too. The Peterborough library specifically states that Hoopla lets you stream or download but it's limited in that you can only stream or download 5 titles per month. They may be referring to just the app.

ssfc72

On my notebook computer, with the Lindsay library CloudLibrary service, I "borrowed" the audiobook and there was no downloading, just streaming.

If I am away from the house and I have my notebook computer with me, then I would listen to an audiobook or read an ebook, without internet service.
I also use my mp3 players to listen to audiobooks, that I have transfered from my computer, while I am at home or out away from home.

I will still complain to the library about not having the Overdrive service, anymore.

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on December 29, 2019, 11:13:44 AM
Quote from: ssfc72 on December 29, 2019, 10:54:49 AM

It didn't have a 'Download' option per se, the audiobook I chose had listen and borrow options. I chose borrow and then opened it up to listen to it. It started playing and there was a centre circle that showed download progress while it continued playing. When it was done, I put the tablet into airplane mode and a few minutes later it was still playing.

Do you normally listen to audiobooks on a laptop without internet access? If so, I'd suggest setting up an android emulator or an android OS on it and installing the app.

I hope you haven't complained to your library yet! At least not without giving them a call to see if you're using the app/service correctly.

Jason

Is it that hard to just listen to it on your phone? I mean, a phone is a lot smaller than a laptop and uses less juice and you likely always have it with you. Maybe that's just my strange way of thinking. :)