• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Hidden microdots

Started by Jason, December 25, 2019, 05:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I discovered this article in Pocket about hidden microdots on printed documents which is both fascinating and a little disturbing.

Check it out first or at least the beginning that explains what the dots are and how you can find and interpret them and then come back and let me know what you think. Just so your thoughts aren't biased by my opinion before reading the article and because it's apropos, I have camouflaged the text a little. When you come back, just click and drag your mouse over it.

My take: I know that most people will say, so what? But as privacy advocate, it bothers me that everything we print is probably tagged with a date, time and the serial number of the printer. And it could have a chilling effect on potential whistle blowers.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

So that's why my yellow printer cartridge is always running out, by printing all those microdots!  :-)

Sneaky stuff.  I think I already had seen this info about microdots and printer/scanners not letting you print out a copy of paper money.

Now that everyone knows about this, there won't be much point in the printer manufacturers, continuing with this sneaky practice.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on December 26, 2019, 04:45:13 AM
So that's why my yellow printer cartridge is always running out, by printing all those microdots!  :-)

Sneaky stuff.  I think I already had seen this info about microdots and printer/scanners not letting you print out a copy of paper money.

Now that everyone knows about this, there won't be much point in the printer manufacturers, continuing with this sneaky practice.

Nice joke about the ink running out because of the dots! Maybe that's why the printer manufacturers were so happy to put them in! :)
I don't know about them stopping just because people know about it. The article is from 2 1/2 years ago I just noticed so perhaps they have stopped. Or it's just not a big deal to most people. This part was disturbing, too:

" 'Organisations such as the NSA have logs of every time something is printed, not just methods of tracking paper once printed,' he says. 'They know that people know about the yellow dots and so they don’t rely upon it for traceability.' "

Holy crap. Maybe the dots are just to distract people from this.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13