• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Linux Mint 19.3 released

Started by fox, December 17, 2019, 02:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Here is the announcement. If you already have 19.1 or 19.2 installed, you can just upgrade it.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

As far as I can tell, the upgrade is not yet available, but I guess it will be soon. The whole install image is available though.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Thanks, Mike. It's "an" announcement but not "the" announcement. That is, it's there in the mirrors but hasn't been announced even on Mint's website yet. Someone jokingly mentioned in the comments that OMGUbuntu is faster than Linux Mint in announcing it!

As far as upgrading goes, that usually is available a few days after you can download it the full image, so not likely available yet. I think by upgrade, they mean just reinstalling the newest version.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Wednesday Dec 18. Upgrading Mint at the moment. So it's now here.

Jason

Thanks, Buster. It looks like they've also released all the versions simultaneously, too, except for Xfce which still says "beta".
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

An oddity with the upgrade mechanism. I have two Mint systems on the same desktop, one on a hd, and the other in virtual inside Win 10. Surprisingly the virtual machine informed me of the upgrade, and I did it. The hard drive install sat quietly.

A flash of light!

I'll bet they have different repository sources!  :) I'll check tomorrow, or maybe call the Intrepid Inspector Buster and he can do it.

Jason

Good guess! It goes by ping time (how long it takes to send a few packets there and back) so even when you're in the same place, the server may not respond in the same amount of time. That's why the updater usually nags you to change the default mirror by running a series of ping tests.

They may also adjust how many people can upgrade at the same time to smooth it out, although this is less likely because they'd have to keep track of you users a tiny bit to do this - anathema to most Linux users. Microsoft does this with Windows 10 updates.

buster

Updated all 3 Ubuntu derivatives yesterday - one announced, one upgrade could be found under Edit in updater, and one I cheated on. For Kubuntu I used a terminal. It was OK, but seemed slow.

Jason

Quote from: buster on December 19, 2019, 05:26:15 PM
Updated all 3 Ubuntu derivatives yesterday - one announced, one upgrade could be found under Edit in updater, and one I cheated on. For Kubuntu I used a terminal. It was OK, but seemed slow.

The slowness was probably due to the mirror unless they were all slow. But then again everyone and their brother is likely hitting the servers hard. Btw, I can't believe you used the terminal! This day shall go down in history! Like all days, but that's beside the point. To everyone reading this, let me emphasize the point again:

BUSTER USED THE TERMINAL TO ACCOMPLISH A TASK

buster

" I can't believe you used the terminal! "

I have used it before you know, at least 3 times - once in 1997, and again in 2003 and 2008. So I guess my experience makes me pretty much of an expert.

Jason

If not an expert, at least not a complete noob. :)

fox

For those that upgraded Mint to 19.3 using the upgrade mechanism, how did it go? I have one to do at work, but haven't done it yet.

buster

A calm and peaceful process. Did one physical install, and one virtual. Harp music in the background would be best I think as you did it.

fox

Just upgraded my Mint installation: 19.2 to 19.3. Very smooth, as Buster indicated. Still using the 4.15 kernel, which I suspect is what Ubuntu 18.04 LTS uses.