• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

PIA recently acquired by Kape Technologies

Started by fox, December 01, 2019, 10:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Right after buying a two year subscription to PIA, this VPN has been bought out (read about it here. At least three of us in PLUG use PIA. Should we be concerned?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Thanks for posting the news, Mike.  With the buyout of PIA VPN by an apparently well financed parent company, it would appear that PIA will be kicking for a few more years down the road.  I hope they continue to advertise that they do not keep logs, of their customer's activity, using the VPN.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I don't really know anything about the company but I can't see them going under as it appears they have a number of well-known security products under their belt. Let's face it, at $35/year it was probably hard to PIA to make much of a profit and apparently they were quite in debt and we weren't aware of that yet they provided an excellent product.

But Kape can use PIA to add to their reputation while making more money from its other products and likely integrating PIA into them.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Quote from: ssfc72 on December 01, 2019, 11:50:41 PM
....I hope they continue to advertise that they do not keep logs, of their customer's activity, using the VPN.
Interestingly enough, I just exchanged an email with Tech Support, in which they told me that my irregular problem sending messages from Thunderbird is due to Microsoft blocking a PIA server(s). The IT guy indicated that some people abuse PIA and send a bunch of spam through it, resulting in Microsoft blocking outgoing messages. Here is the relevant part. Because PIA doesn't collect user data, they can't identify the abusers!
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13