• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Major Victory for Travelers' Privacy at the Border (EFF)

Started by Jason, November 26, 2019, 03:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

A recent news item from the EFF has good news for those travelling to the US:

QuoteA federal court on November 12 ruled in Alasaad v. McAleenan that the government must have reasonable suspicion of digital contraband before searching your electronic devices at the U.S. border. The case was filed by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), and ACLU of Massachusetts on behalf of 11 travelers whose smartphones and laptops were searched without individualized suspicion at U.S. ports of entry.

“The government shouldn’t have the unfettered power to invade your digital privacy at the border,” said Diane Zorri, a college professor, former U.S. Air Force captain, and a plaintiff in the Alasaad case. “I’m proud to stand with EFF and the ACLU for travelers’ rights.”

The court held that the government must have reasonable suspicion of digital contraband before searching people’s electronic devices at the U.S. border. This major advance helps ensure that border agents cannot turn international travel into an excuse to rifle through your private digital information without individualized suspicion.

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

So it will be interesting to see if next season's Border Security tv series, shows the officials still looking through people's cell phone's, to see if visitors to the US are coming to work there, move there, have a baby there without the proper permissions.  There is no suspicion of digital contraband, in these cases.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

This is good news, although some of the complaints by Canadians against arbitrary and unfair behaviour of U.S. border agents has nothing to do with electronic devices.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cellphone-border-searches-customs-border-1.5387612

This article points out the Canadian lawyers advice about the phone search ruling, in the US court case. In short, don't have anything on your phone, that you don't want the border agents, to see. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I don't know. Those are two lawyers in Canada vs. teams of lawyers from the EFF and the ACLU who think differently. If the CBC interviewed more than two, I might find this article more impressive. I understand that their PR may be to boost donations but the lawyers for them aren't likely to outright lie either. I've contacted both organizations with a link to the CBC article to ask them about the Canadian lawyers' comments.

But I think the CBC article seems to suggest the ruling means nothing and I think that's far from the truth. Going from "search whenever we feel like it" to "search with probable cause" is a win. That's the generally the way it is with police. Imagine if the RCMP could randomly search your house whenever they felt like it vs. having probable cause. That's what they've stopped from the way I read the ruling. But it's not to the level that they need a search warrant - that's another fight.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

I read the article and it seems to suggest that the issue is jurisdiction in that the state that the ruling was about was Massachusetts.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on December 07, 2019, 12:06:30 PM
I read the article and it seems to suggest that the issue is jurisdiction in that the state that the ruling was about was Massachusetts.

I noticed that also. But it would seem odd that the ACLU and the EFF lawyers didn't note this. The ACLU press release specifically expands it beyond Massachusetts:

QuoteIn a major victory for privacy rights, a federal court in Boston today ruled that the government’s suspicionless searches of international travelers’ smartphones and laptops at airports and other U.S. ports of entry violate the Fourth Amendment.