• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

4k Downloader - a very nice YouTube video downloader program

Started by ssfc72, November 24, 2019, 03:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBMqGqrkAeU&t=8s

This is a short YouTube video about a downloader program (for Linux and Windows) that lets you select the quality(resolution) of the video available.
The program runs great on my Mint Cinnamon distro and the example short sci fi Youtube video, used in the tutorial is very interesting.  Also note the program will take a playlist of videos and download the whole list of videos, with multiple videos from the list, being downloaded at the same time.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I rarely download videos, but this 4K Downloader program looks very useful for when I do. Thanks for posting.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Nifty! I recall a program with a similar name years ago (back when we first had talkies) but don't know if this is the same one. I imagine Buster will like this one for taking movies with him on his tablet when he goes camping.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Strangely, in Kubuntu 19.10, the entry in the Application Launcher doesn't seem to work and no error message is given. But I found a workaround. Run it using Konsole (or your alternative console program) with this command and it works (sort of):

4kvideodownloader

It shoots out a bunch of errors but you can still copy and paste the link and download a video.

But it doesn't appear that you can do anything else, like right-clicking the file and showing the folder or playing it directly. Preference choices don't do anything either. It's like the GUI for it is mostly unresponsive. You can click on widgets but the ones I've tried don't stick or don't do anything. I'm guessing this was designed for the Gnome desktop, but since Cinnamon and MATE are forks, it would likely work fine in them as well.

Attached a screenshot of running it in Konsole showing an error when I tried to choose the Show Folder option. I tried reinstalling it. It didn't change anything. There is a clue that I might need some plugin so I might chase this down since I'm stuck in the house today anyway. :)

It's still useful to me even with the issue though. Thanks for the find, Bill!

i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

I wonder if you could run a virtual machine of Mint, in your Kubuntu, to get 4KDownloader to work for you.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I probably could do that. Or maybe just installing Gnome on top of Kubuntu. That should work, too. I think that Mike even mentioning getting Cinnamon running under Ubuntu so it should work for Kubuntu, too. Kubuntu is, after all, just Ubuntu with the DE replaced by KDE Plasma.

I tried looking for the library it suggested. There was a package with the name mentioned in the error message (xcb) but installing it didn't change anything. It didn't mention anything about a qt plugin. Was hoping they'd have a support forum but the website had only FAQs and none seemed to address my issue.