• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

PIA VPN renewal special offer

Started by ssfc72, November 23, 2019, 08:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

So, I knew my annual PIA subscription should have expired but I was still able to get the app to work on my smart TV/Kodi box.
I logged onto my PIA account and it said my account had expired but it was still working on my kodi box.
Today I got an email from PIA for a special offer to renew.
The normal cost was $3.33 USD/ month for an annual subscription and the special 3 day offer was for $2.76 USD for the annual subscription.

So it appears to be wise to let your VPN subscription  expire and wait for a special rate, offer. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

That's a nice surprise. I just checked PIA's site, and apparently you can now buy it as a new subscriber for 6 months free and $2.33/mo for two years, or $2.66/mo for one year. Is this the service that Jason has been recommending? I have Fastest VPN, which I got for $5 for a year, and it's not very fast. Is PIA reasonably fast when you use it?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Yes PIA VPN is the one that Jason also uses, I believe.
I have mainly used PIA for streaming video and I don't have problems with the speed.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Yep, it's what I use. The speed is going to be dependent on the servers and traffic which are owned by other companies but I've rarely had speed issues. And if I do, they're particular to a certain server within a region.

Each region, at least in North America, actually has several servers. For example, if you pick Toronto, there are actually many 105 VPNs handling requests. If you pick auto (the default), it will pick the fastest server based on ping time. Here you can see all the regions with the number of servers. Click on a region and you'll see # of servers and bandwidth and within each city a link to run a speed test.

That's a really good deal they're running.

Bill: Are you sure that your rate isn't actually $2.66? Because if not, new users are getting a slightly cheaper rate than your offer. But more importantly, demand the 3 free month bonus.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I suspect that the bonus is only to bring in new users. The same strategy that Bell and Cogeco use to get people to switch. Of course if they're like me, I play off one against the other and if they try to up my cost after a special, I threaten to switch. As a result, I have switched from Bell to Cogeco and back to Bell, and I fully expect to switch back to Cogeco at the end of my current deal.

Jason

Moved your post about the reconnect issue to Support, Fox.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

Quote from: fox on November 24, 2019, 03:29:53 PM
I suspect that the bonus is only to bring in new users. The same strategy that Bell and Cogeco use to get people to switch. Of course if they're like me, I play off one against the other and if they try to up my cost after a special, I threaten to switch. As a result, I have switched from Bell to Cogeco and back to Bell, and I fully expect to switch back to Cogeco at the end of my current deal.

I get the reasoning but it can't hurt to ask. That's what I did years ago when my bank was offering an Eee PC for new customers signing up for a premium account for 3 months. I had to upgrade me account temporariy but I got the free Eee PC!

dougal

Mike, you say that you play one of the other to get the best price...is there a particular reason why u limit your choices to these to providers ? i ask this in mind that Start.ca and now Carrytel are running packages on this local infrastructure for much cheaper prices. .02$- i also use PIA and don't have speed issues for streaming live and VOD...although some sites will not allow access which i guess is they recognize/detect something unusual in the requesting and block it.

fox

Quote from: dougal on November 25, 2019, 10:18:51 AM
Mike, you say that you play one of the other to get the best price...is there a particular reason why u limit your choices to these to providers ? ....
In a word, my wife. In more than one word, she wants our home phone connected the "regular way", i.e., not an internet connection.

fox

Quote from: fox on November 24, 2019, 07:39:22 AM
That's a nice surprise. I just checked PIA's site, and apparently you can now buy it as a new subscriber for 6 months free and $2.33/mo for two years, or $2.66/mo for one year. ...
I went ahead and bought the two-year subscription; too good a deal to pass up. So for $US70, I have 2 1/2 years of vpn service.