• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

December PLUG Meeting Notes: Nextcloud

Started by ssfc72, December 18, 2019, 08:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

The PLUG meeting was very enjoyable. We had good attendance with William coming from Toronto and Glen from Oshawa able to make it.
Jason did a very nice job showing off NextCloud and there was interest shown in it.
The room projector wasn't working but I had my pico projector for projecting the presentation onto the meeting room screen.
Mike tried to do his Dex presentation but I believe he forgot to bring a bluetooth mouse to work with his Samsung phone, so he was unable to navigate the screen on the phone. Hopefully Mike might be able to do his demo at the January PLUG meeting.
After the demos we had coffee, pop, and snacks to eat and discuss everything from radar to rocketships. :-)
We didn't break up until after 10 pm.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Small correction. Mike didn't try to do a DeX presentation; he tried to see if it would work on the equipment in that room. The DeX presentation will be at one of our upcoming meetings.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Sorry I missed the meeting, but it was unavoidable. Sounds as if it was a pleasant evening.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Thanks for the notes on the meeting, Bill. And thanks for everyone making. I was pretty stressed out but I'm glad the presentation was helpful or at least interesting.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Attached is the slideshow that I used (in ODP format) and a text file containing the info outlined below:

Setup Nextcloud server on Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 (more for testing Nextcloud than actual serious use because of limited RAM)
https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-nextcloud-server/

Download and link to Installation instructions (Ubuntu 18.04 recommended for easiest install using script that does everything)
https://nextcloud.com/install/#instructions-server
- Note that despite the instructions saying it will run on 512 MB RAM, you should have 2 GB RAM or more- actual requirements will vary depending on what you do with it- you can also install Ubuntu 18.04 on the Raspberry Pi by using the SD card image provided at the Ubuntu site

These 10 Nextcloud Apps will let you DITCH Google for GOOD! (didn't get to show this)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rwr9xuiCRs
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Another note would be, for your suggestion that people who have problems with frequent power outages at their home, might want to consider paying  a small monthly fee for a remote hosting service for their Nextcloud.service.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on December 22, 2019, 07:41:12 AM
Another note would be, for your suggestion that people who have problems with frequent power outages at their home, might want to consider paying  a small monthly fee for a remote hosting service for their Nextcloud.service.

That's a good point. You can get cheap hosting for $5-15 CAD/month. The cheaper ones mean you get a base install of an OS and you're responsible for all setup but you also get entire control. So if you wanted a webserver, you'd have to install the LAMP setup yourself and configure it and you'd have to do updates.
The more expensive ones in that range give you graphical setup tools although you have less control over your space but they handle updates and setting up a webserver is super easy and possibly Nextcloud - at least it won't be harder than a cheap host with shell access and easier for other things like setting up mail.

Hosting it from home has the benefits of it being free (other than electricity cost) and a lot more storage (and likely memory) but you have the limitations you noted above as well as your outside IP address changing from time to time. You can setup a dynamic IP service that will run a client and change your domain records to point to the new IP but it's kind of pointless to go through that extra work to avoid $5/month.

fox

Hmmm. I have a 2009 Mac mini sitting around doing nothing, and it has 4gb RAM. Possible NextCloud server? It runs Ubuntu 18.04 nicely.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on December 22, 2019, 09:41:23 AM
Hmmm. I have a 2009 Mac mini sitting around doing nothing, and it has 4gb RAM. Possible NextCloud server? It runs Ubuntu 18.04 nicely.

That sounds like it would probably be fine.