• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Virtual PLUG Meeting - January 30, 2024: Zorin OS

Started by Jason, February 01, 2024, 03:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Here's the notes that I used for the presentation in LibreOffice Writer format (.odt). Recent versions of MS Office should also be able to read it. I've also included graphics showing the software updater and the comparison of editions taken from the Zorin OS website main page.

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Sorry I missed your presentation. I was set to attend on the original day, and didn't see the link on the next day. I have downloaded Zorin in the past and thought it was a good distro, but I can't get by the fact that the developer named it after himself.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

" but I can't get by the fact that the developer named it after himself"

This statement is a bit weird Mike. The distro is his creation, his child. And many children are named after a parent. As well, I would be willing to drink beer in Pete's Bar, or buy groceries at Henderson's corner grocery.

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet
;

(Actual quote from Romeo and Juliet)

I would be willing to date a beautiful woman even if she had the ugliest name in the world. Even ugliest in the galaxy.

Important note: Marilyn doesn't go to our site.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

The distro is his creation, but most of the work for it is taken from Debian and Ubuntu. And the grocery analogy doesn't fit. In that analogy, the store is named for its owner, not any particular product. If you had to go to the Zorin Store to buy a differently named distro (say Zeeman for fun), I would have no problem with it.

buster

This is kind of interesting.

Our grocer less than a block away was Mr Hawtorne's, and though the 40's and most of the 50's, that's where we did some of the shopping. It was a mom and pop outfit. (The daughter's name was Gayle for anyone who cares. When a teenager you like the rest of us would have cared!)

The couple who created the store did not build it, or manufacture the products except for the muffins and tarts, much as any Linux system is built on the work of others. He may have redone the counter or the floors when needed. So he ran a business, consulting with customers about what they wanted. For my dad that was his choice of cigarette brand, which I was sent to the store to buy. For my mom it was lunch meats and eggs. (Our bread and milk were delivered to the door. I also remember when the ice was delivered for our icebox.)

The Hawthornes created, without building, this store, maintained it, and kept it running through to my teens, and so they put their name on their efforts.

If I created a distro, it would be called BBLD, which stands for Buster's Brilliant Linux Distro. BBLD would honour the creator and maintainer of the magnificent system.

ssfc72

Good one! :-)

Quote from: buster on February 07, 2024, 11:00:13 AM" but I can't get by the fact that the developer named it after himself"

This statement is a bit weird Mike. The distro is his creation, his child. And many children are named after a parent. As well, I would be willing to drink beer in Pete's Bar, or buy groceries at Henderson's corner grocery.

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet
;

(Actual quote from Romeo and Juliet)

I would be willing to date a beautiful woman even if she had the ugliest name in the world. Even ugliest in the galaxy.

Important note: Marilyn doesn't go to our site.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I wouldn't hesitate to use a distro called BBLD if I liked it, regardless of what name the letters stand for. If Zorin was called ZNOS (Zorin OS), I wouldn't have a problem with that. I would use Debian if I liked it more than Ubuntu, knowing that the word is a contraction for two first names. But Zorin is too blatant for me.

buster

"I wouldn't hesitate to use a distro called BBLD"

Of course you wouldn't hesitate. Anything created by Buster would be supreme quality. How could anyone not use it?

Jason

If I had a cool name such as Zorin, I'd name my distro after me, too. It's cool and memorable. "Wallwork OS" is kind of blech! Rememberable, probably, but not cool.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

409 views for this Forum Topic, so far. Not bad. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Almost all of the notes and minutes threads have a good number of hits. Hard to understand why someone who didn't see the virtual meeting would follow the thread. Maybe the word meeting is a trigger. There are also some key words like encryption and privacy.

Jason

Quote from: buster on February 11, 2024, 02:11:49 PMHard to understand why someone who didn't see the virtual meeting would follow the thread.

You did. :)

buster

I was following the thread because I tend to check all new posts. The post by Bill I believe made we wonder why someone would read that thread.