• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

OpenMediaVault

Started by Hugh Crawford, October 26, 2019, 02:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh Crawford

I enjoyed the presentation on OpenMediaVault by Peter in September,
the interactive debugging to try to get it working was interesting.

If everything worked out of the box, life would be boring.

I mentioned a couple of YouTube videos I had seen about OpenMediaVault and he
suggested I post them so everyone could benefit. So below are the links.

Watch "Openmediavault 4 Install and Complete Setup: Current Version" on YouTube by Techno Dad Life  about 16 minutes
https://youtu.be/NYJCq2FwRUo

Watch "OpenMediaVault: How to Set Up a Home NAS" on YouTube by DrZzs  about 6 minutes
https://youtu.be/j-CoUkT8WI4

Watch "Raspberry Pi 4 OpenMediaVault NAS" on YouTube by ExplainingComputers  about 18 minutes
https://youtu.be/bpvlEbdA6qI

These appilcations of OpenMediaVault as a Media server
and as a Network Attached Storage seem to be the predominant uses currently.

Jason

Thanks for the links and your comments, Hugh. I'll have to check them out when I have a moment.

I'm interested in OpenMediaVault, too. I want to set up one at home using a Raspberry Pi over Ethernet (I think that wifi would be too slow with a Pi). I kind of lost sight of it when I started working on the NDP campaign but I can get back into it now. Thanks for the reminder.

If I recall correctly, it was Brian who presented in September. We have a Peter who is a member but I don't think he has done a presentation (yet). But he's always welcome to do one (hint, hint)!
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

No, it was me. And I did try OMV at home using wifi after I set it up on ethernet. I can't remember whether it didn't work well or didn't work at all for me. But it should work, and I hope one of you will try it that way and report back.

Thanks for those links, Hugh. I know I watched at least one of them before trying myself.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I recall Brian being involved - perhaps he was assisting? In any case, I remember you had issues getting other boxes to see the files - I think? But then Brian helped you figure it out. You'll have to try it again and report back :) I'll let you know how my setup of it goes.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

Brian did assist. I can't remember exactly, but it may have had to do with the setup in our presentation room. And yes, I did have issues getting my other computers seeing the files shared on OMV, and Brian helped on those. I'm glad we have his expertise as part of our club!

I did try OMV at home again after that meeting, hooking up the Pi to ethernet. Everything worked flawlessly. I didn't try wireless again; maybe it would have worked or maybe not. At this point I don't have it hooked up. I only did it to see if I could, but maybe I would do it again, permanently, in the future. It was pretty easy once you know how.

Jason

Quote from: fox on October 27, 2019, 01:37:20 PM
I did try OMV at home again after that meeting, hooking up the Pi to ethernet. Everything worked flawlessly. I didn't try wireless again; maybe it would have worked or maybe not.

If you try wireless again and it doesn't work, look to see if you have IP isolation enabled in your wireless router. If it's enabled, disable it. IP isolation is good with hotspots because it prevents each client from spying on other clients, particularly if they have shared files, but it can be a PITA on home networks.

If you regularly have friends using your wireless network and you're not 100% sure they're trustworthy, you should get a router with the ability to allow guests to login. It basically creates a separate wireless network where they can't see anything you've shared on the network or connect to devices you don't want them to connecting to.

fox

Thanks for that, Jason. My router has a separate wifi login. Does that automatically mean that I have, or don't have, IP isolation? Knowing this, I'd like to test it again with wireless sometime.

Jason

Quote from: fox on October 27, 2019, 08:19:09 PM
Thanks for that, Jason. My router has a separate wifi login. Does that automatically mean that I have, or don't have, IP isolation? Knowing this, I'd like to test it again with wireless sometime.

Can't tell based on that alone. If you sign into your router and do a search of the settings for IP isolation you should find it. If there isn't a search built into it, try looking under WiFi settings and then privacy or security. Not all routers have it but since your router has a separate guest login then it likely has it although it may only be on for people using that login. But it's best to check.