• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

CuriosityStream

Started by Jason, October 16, 2019, 03:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

My wife and I subscribed to CuriosityStream a few months ago. It's like Netflix but for science, history, technology, and nature.

It costs about $2.99/month USD or you can buy a year subscription for $20. I have to say it's pretty good. Lots of selections and none of that weird stuff like UFOs and ghosts that you so often see on "science" or "history" channels on cable.

My wife likes the nature programs and I tend more toward the history but we find overlapping interests too, like programs about the brain, evolution and unique stories like this guy who wears this bubble suit with wings that lets him "fly" by jumping off cliffs and such, kind of like a human hang glider.

I've been watching "Ketamine: From Street Drug to Lifesaver" about how Ketamine is helping people with depression in studies where nothing else worked.

There is a 7-day trial if you want to check out CuriosityStream. Note that the link gives me a referral point (if you ultimately subscribe). I'd recommend it anyway but if somehow a miracle happens and 3 people sign up, I get a t-shirt.  :D But seriously, for $20 USD a year, how could you go wrong?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Good to know!  Thanks for the info about this science streaming service, Jason.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

No problem, Bill. I forgot to mention there is a lot of astronomy and astrophysics shows and series, too. Your knowledge level, particularly on astronomy, may be way beyond what they offer, though.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

Apparently it is also available for $12 US at the moment.

https://curiositystream.com/referral/99060adacb

Admin: Fixed the link so it's a bit easier to read.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Did you see my post here about that, Buster?

buster

When I originally posted my $12 notice, and looked back at the thread, you had posted the same $12 notice 4.5 minutes before. My guess is I was writing and copy/pasting when you had just posted. I don't see the original in the thread anymore, but the link shows the two time-stamps.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on April 07, 2020, 11:10:13 PM
When I originally posted my $12 notice, and looked back at the thread, you had posted the same $12 notice 4.5 minutes before. My guess is I was writing and copy/pasting when you had just posted. I don't see the original in the thread anymore, but the link shows the two time-stamps.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. It's good that you've posted it here, anyway, since somebody are going to see this topic and not the other. I actually moved this topic because I figured marketplace was a better place to post it because of the 7-day special. But now $12 for a year? How can you say no to that?

fox

I can't seem to find out on their website what the options are for receiving this. I see them for 4k but not regular. I would be interested in this if I can watch it on my TV, but I have Apple TV, not Roku and I don't have a smart TV.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

You didn't see this on the right-side about midway down? I'm not sure *how* you stream it on a tv, my wife and I do it our computer screens. When we're together, we watch it on her screen because it's bigger. I imagine you could hook up a Pi to your tv screen assuming it has HDMI in and just go to the website and do it that way.

Update: Strangely, the referral page doesn't show the graphic that is on the main page but just check it out below since it provides a bit more info.

Jason

Found this in the help( bottom right of the page), when I searched under tv viewing:

QuoteViewing CuriosityStream through Apple TV

We have an app for Apple TV (4th Generation and 5th Generation). You just need to go to the Apple TV App Store where CuriosityStream can be downloaded. From the App Store, search for CuriosityStream and install it.

Once it's installed, open the app and you will see three boxes, Please select SIGN IN.

You will need to put in your username or email address in the first box and then the password that you established upon signing up in the second box.  Once you have those two boxes completed, please click Sign In.

If you only have 3rd generation, it says you can use Airplay, whatever that is.

Jason

They don't offer refunds unfortunately so If you're not sure about it working, you can get a one-month plan for $3 USD first. And then if works, get the annual plan. Your annual plan will start at the end of the monthly one (i.e. you're get 13 months now).

Note that there is the occasional ad but you'll barely notice it because it is only once per session. They do it to offer some shows that would otherwise not be available and to keep the price low. You can read about that here. It's still a steal.

fox

I think mine is second generation. Airplay is a way to stream across Apple devices. I do have this so hypothetically, I can run it on MacOS and stream it to my TV.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Worst case you use your Pi, at least.