• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Linus Torvalds isn't worried about Microsoft taking over Linux (ZDNet)

Started by Jason, October 07, 2019, 12:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Eye-opening article from ZDNet about the relationship between Microsoft, Linus and the Linux community. Despite a lot of early mistakes and attacks from the Microsoft community, you can argue now that Microsoft has made it's peace with Linux and actively supporting Linux tools and the kernel. Says Linus Torvalds:

QuoteThe whole anti-Microsoft thing was sometimes funny as a joke, but not really. Today, they're actually much friendlier. I talk to Microsoft engineers at various conferences, and I feel like, yes, they have changed, and the engineers are happy. And they're like really happy working on Linux. So I completely dismissed all the anti-Microsoft stuff.

What do you think? Do you agree with the article? Or do you think Microsoft has nefarious purposes behind their Linux support?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Did Google take elements of Linux to create the Android OS for phones.   Android hasn't killed off Linux for computers.
So I don't think Microsoft can harm the continued use of Linux, even if they come out with their own version of Linux for computers. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I really don't know. Microsoft is going to want to monetize anything they can, but it appears that there are ways that they can profit from Linux without owning or selling it.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on October 08, 2019, 02:32:16 AM
Did Google take elements of Linux to create the Android OS for phones.

Indeed. Android is based off of Linux. It uses the Linux kernel + Google Android libraries + JVM + Google apps (or at least availability of them). Google makes money with this the same way they make money off of anything else they create - advertising.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

Quote from: fox on October 08, 2019, 08:01:56 AM
I really don't know. Microsoft is going to want to monetize anything they can, but it appears that there are ways that they can profit from Linux without owning or selling it.

The article, if I remember correctly, talks about how Linux makes money off of Linux. Azure, their cloud-based platform is build on Linux servers. So are most ISPs. They both make money off of selling services that are running on the Linux platform. So basically, Microsoft has monetized it. But they've given back by contributing to the Linux kernel and making some software for Linux like Skype (even if it's a version or two behind the Microsoft version) and porting Linux terminal tools and the environment to Windows. You used to have use putty, a separate independent program for Windows, to login to a remove Linux shell. Now you can it in Powershell or install a Linux subsystem right inside Windows. I believe that Brian still does this - accessing, configuring Linux servers from within Windows using the Linux subsystem.