• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

interac e-transfers

Started by fox, September 30, 2019, 07:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

This is a topic we have gotten into in several PLUG MUGs. I have always been wary of any kind of e-banking, and interac money transfers is one of them. Convenient, yes, and I have used them occasionally. But it is now coming out that the system is easy to hack, and lots of people in Canada have lost money to fraudsters as a result. (Read this story. The article suggests that the safest transfers are from one bank to another, and that's the system they have in most western countries.

Comments?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Thanks for the link to the article Mike.
At the bottom of the article are some e-transfer tips.  I certainly agree with the one that advises to avoid using baking apps on your cell phone.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

It's not that the service is being hacked. It's that people are using weak security questions and/or no pass codes on their phones. In other words, PEBKAC. You can't protect people from intentioned ignorance.

Where I think the banks are at fault is in saying the etransfers are protected against fraud but burying in the fine print that they aren't if you don't take appropriate security and not investigating the cases where it happens. 2FA would also be a great defense and should be an available option at all banks.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13