• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Arch easy enough even for Buster!

Started by buster, September 17, 2019, 01:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Have been running Archman for a few weeks now in virtual.

Advantages of Archman over Arch:

- Number of times I used the command line - zero
-install time - about 20-25 minutes
-method for finding updates - the need pops up on the screen
-installing new software - similar to Synaptic
-getting full screen and drag and drop with host - install open-vm-tools

Disdvantages:

-most of the forums in a language I can't read
-updates occur regularly

Seems very similar to most popular Linux distros. Nice.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Thanks for the review, Buster!  Does Archman have a one click, shutdown icon?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

You might want to try Manjaro; also an Arch-based point and click distro. You could compare it to Archman. Manjaro is a controlled rolling release distro. They hold back Arch updates a few days (maybe a week?) to make sure they're OK before releasing them. I did get a bad update from them once, but that was years ago. I haven't tried it since then.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

"You might want to try Manjaro; also an Arch-based point and click distro."

Tried it about a year ago. After awhile it broke down. Maybe their delayed updates. Don't know but I think the held back update system might be to blame. Gives two places to have errors with updates instead of one. Anyway it broke and I deleted it. So far Archman very smooth.

fox

Another Arch-based distro of potential interest is EndeavourOS, which uses the Calamares installer and XFCE desktop. They just came out with an update. Looks to be point and click.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

EndeavourOS is the successor to Antegros I think. Found this review. The review's one weakness is the fact that he ignores there should be a graphical 'Synaptic' somewhere for Pacman stuff. That would make life easier for a mouseketeer.

So far it is miles down the popularity hit list on DistroWatch. Bears watching I guess because of the Arch cult. (Reminds me of the AirStream fascination in rvs). And it's an easy way into Arch.

https://cubiclenate.com/2019/08/20/endeavour-os-review-from-an-opensuse-user/

buster

Removed ArchMan. It's pretty good. Worth a try. I found it sometimes had memory problems during drag and drop with host. Small files were ok, but not large.

I might have been able to find a repository with the specific file open-vm-tools-desktop. That might have made the difference. This file wouldn't matter on a full install if you wish to try it.

Nice looking. Easy install.

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on September 18, 2019, 04:17:30 AM
Thanks for the review, Buster!  Does Archman have a one click, shutdown icon?

Found out that Plasma does, Bill. You have to configure it so but it's there. I can do another post that walks you through it if you're interesting in trying a Plasma-based distro like Kubuntu. I'm using it right now. I click shutdown in the menu and it does it right away, no confirmation needed.

Linux Mint no longer has a Plasma edition although there are websites that tell you how to turn one of the other editions into Plasma. I just don't know how buggy it is.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Archman got a review in Distrowatch. Jesse had more problems than I did apparently. If you wish to  know what it's like running Arch without doing any work, it's worth a try. (You don't have to tell anyone how you installed it.  :) )

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20191014#archman