• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Another example of a religious/philosophical exemption

Started by Jason, September 17, 2019, 02:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

We had a bit of an, inspired, discussion (at the MUG last night) about the recent decision of Ontario to allow Sikhs to be exempt from wearing helmets on motorcycles. A couple of members thought this exception was wrong because it wasn't fair to non-Sikhs and because it meant Sikhs could end up in the hospital more often and taxpayers would be footing the bill.

My position, that nobody really agree with (which is fine), is that we already allow many exceptions from the law to religious minorities (and majorities, like Christianity) that can end up costing taxpapers more money. Examples include involuntary circumcision for children (parents decide, kids have no say) and circumcisions can and do go wrong, our Separate school system, conscientious objectors, religious days off, supporting Jehovah's Witnesses right to not be forced to have transfusions and for doctors who can refuse to provide abortions, vaccinations or euthanasia services, even Catholic hospitals can be exempted though we all pay for what they do.

And here's a recent article having to do with religious parents (or those philosophically opposed) who can exempt themselves from getting their kids vaccinated. Anti-vaxxers pose an prescient threat to our healthcare system and will most certainly end up costing taxpayers.

Why are all these groups of people (Jewish people, Catholics, Jehovah's Witnesses, Evangelical Christians and more) allowed special treatment but we complain unfairness when Sikhs are allowed to practice their religious requirements?

Yeah, it's not fair.

Life is unfair but religious freedom is a charter right that essentially gives religious people special treatment (and other religious like bodies like Scientology). Instead of going after minority religions, maybe we should ask generally in society why we elevate religion to some higher standard? Having imaginary friends shouldn't give people special rights, even when that religion is mainstream here like Christianity. As an atheist, I object to churches, synagogues and mosques not paying taxes, too. But where is the moral outrage about that?

Okay, I'm done my rant, now it's your say if you wish to have it. I hope that I fairly presented the views of those that disagreed with me. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth. I'll be quiet now and only chime in again if I feel my position requires clarification. If you disagree, that's cool, I hope we can remain friends even with intense debates. And I look forward to learning something. I'm always willing to change my position with good argument backed up by evidence.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13